2 stage, fully differential, very little FB, +160Watt amplifier

Joined 2024
do some TLC, leave it as is - that amp deserved in all this years to stay as it is

with accumulated knowledge and mileage, make new one .... whatever choice is

I mean whatever you want to change, except changing FE mosfets to some scarce Toshibas, would involve mechanical changes - bigger heatsinks etc. just leading to too much work - meaning - it's easier to make new house from scratch than to rework old one to new

two ways of improving performance of input LTP:
  • change to Toshiba mosfets,
Hi Zen mod,
Thanks, I agree with you.
Except main transformer I would only like to change T1 for something more linear. Which Toshiba's did you have in mind? I can get 4pcs 2sk2013, do you know anything about them?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
yeah for Donut - if buzzing, that's part of TLC

2SK2013, yup - I meant those - they're all the rage, used with cousin in, say, BA3 here and few more, besides being used in PL products

but, you are old enough, so you know that nothing is really worth leg and kidney

if not available for sane price, there are always other sane priced parts :clown:

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2012
It's digital "square" wave, can't be perfect

in that case there is no point in carrying out the test, it defeats the whole objective.

that being said, i appreciate that people are reluctant to obtain suitable test equipment for one off measurements.

Joined 2024
2SK2013, yup - I meant those - they're all the rage
Thanks Zen,
It'll be then. Local shop has 4 pcs at 6euro per piece. 24 eur is about 1% of total Amp cost, so I will spend it gladly for the most important component in the whole thing, if they are not fake 🤭

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
seriously, think about introducing small JFet buffers in front of input mosfets

even if you use fancy ones

luckily, we have current production JFets on disposal, even if smd... in case you don't have TO92 already in drawer

Joined 2024
seriously, think about introducing small JFet buffers in front of input mosfets

I have 2sj109 dual matched P jfet to use, just then this becomes 3 stage amplifier, even that doesn't matter really.
Do you have suggestion how to connect it? that's new circuit (with also new voltage supply for jfets) and some hanky panky will be needed with PCB to accomodate them

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
will sketch something tonight

who cares how many stages, if still simple and (hopefully) better?

besides, follower stage is hardly worth more than 0.5 stages count

Joined 2024
Toshibas are in the house

IMG_20240506_112908.jpg

They even look like genuine, not fake. But I'll test those before insatlling
Unfortunately couldnt find 2sk109, than remembered they went into phono preamp for friend some years ago, dementia 🥴.
Other rebuilt material is gathering, so soon I'll start with it.

Joined 2024
Well, not good, seems I bought fakes!!!
I just measured Vgs and it shows approx 3.7V, that's more than 1Volt higher than Toshiba spec for Y grade.
This thread shows almost exactly the same transistors as mine :

Fake or real 2SK2013?​

They look so real and genuine!!!!
Before I go to shop (which is real psychical shop with Name, address and VAT number, so possible to report to consumer protection inspection) and raise the hell;
Is there possibility that Toshiba had 2 versions of this transistor? I know there is just remote possibility but better check before accusing someone.
Thanks!

Joined 2009
It is the highest time the europian union and amerika go look into these chinese fakes, the zagreb fakes are
for shure buyed from chinese sellers, maybe not even know by seller that is fake, most because sellers are not all electronic
educated people. Also be aware that parts who are alfready stopping to produce years ago, you buy proberly fakes.

Last edited:
Joined 2024
It is the highest time the europian union and amerika go look into these chinese fakes, the zagreb fakes are
for shure buyed from chinese sellers, maybe not even know by seller that is fake, most because sellers are not all electronic
educated people. Also be aware that parts who are alfready stopping to produce years ago, you buy proberly fakes.
Cant agree more! I made similar post here in fake transistors forum just to show example
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/my-transistors-original-or-copy.82638/post-7681126

Why to hell do we need to play semiconductor production experts, policeman and customs officers? The declaration on the product must be enough to buy with confidence in organized world, might be better described as "organized"
I will go to this shop and see what they have to say about it, if I don't like it, and I probably will not, I am going to report the issue as example to customer protection inspector, with note that this is for EU commission. Probably it will change nothing , but it also costs me 20 min of effort and I think its worth it. If more people and companies scream of this horrific theft, might be something will happen.
And this is just us, buying few chips here and there, but the damage done to the industry (that apparently pays out taxes for our benefits) is enormous. I think I heard lately on news that counterfeiting in general makes something like trillion Euro damage to EU industry annually...