Shaded Array - Twelve 3” Full Range drivers with 35Hz-25KHz & high output

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
In PA use you flip them upside down and put them on the ceiling. You get even distribution across the whole room, potentially.
That's a little different. PA will be seeking direct coverage. The shape of the line and the levels of the parts will have to take into account the audience direction and distance. As to whether shading is a part of this, consider the size of these speakers. You wouldn't want to use a line where a 3D array is needed. These individual units are larger and have more directivity on their own.

If we calculate the bending radius of the focused array and the distance to the listener, then it will be ideal and this will be the sweetest place for one listener, but we don’t need more, we’re not going to dance and listen to Beethoven’s 9th Symphony at the same time:D.
I'd like to respectfully disagree.

When in the history of music before hifi did people sit motionless and alone in a chair and listen to music with their head in vise?

Aren't there still a lot of people who do like to get up and dance?

I host listening parties on a regular basis. I had one last week with a dozen people and it sounded great for everyone in the room. The picture below is the "Flanagangsters" which are Constant Directivity Dipoles. We had it at a hotel where a bunch of clients came to a seminar. We call it "bourbon night". Everyone picks a song and we all listen to music for a couple of hours.

Something regular people almost never do anymore - not without screens anyway.
geneva_listening_party.jpg

Like my Open Baffle designs, the Shaded Arrays have the same quality of "every seat in the house is good" and I think that's a great priority for a speaker design.

Reactions: 4 users
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Bass arrays are not uncommon. In a domestic situation, a bass array can help manage room modes. Generally speaking though it's no different than the mouth of a waveguide really, control of H and V with shading for diffraction control.

I can't begin to connect the idea of a 'bass array' to that of what you termed a '3D array' (per pg 48).

Can't even picture what a 'bass array' might look like, other than maybe like the various well known PA/install cardioid deployments.
.........Deployments that are all known not to work well in small room situations.

What do you mean by 'bass array'?

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Why? Arrays have width and depth. They define a wavefront shape. They can either have edges that taper using shading to act as a termination, or they can end at a wall and use it as a mirror. The DBA sections use an entire wall and create a plane wavefront that travels without expanding. It could be referred to as an infinite array.

Ok, thx. DBA's I'm familiar with.
They seem like an entirely different animal than what's been being discussed.
In an abstract sense they're related: just in the sense that at bass frequencies the wavelengths are so long that below 100Hz (wavelength = 10 feet / 3 meters) you can have an array with woofers spaced 1-3 feet apart.