DSP Three-way open baffle

Joined 2019
Hi there - I was kicking around the idea of making a Pure Audio Project (PAP) clone using an 8" full range with 2 15" woofers...but the x-over had me ruffled. I've never built a speaker or cross over and wasn't sure I wanted to tackle it. Plus I'm not completely convinced a FR will give me the top end I want so I was thinking of adding a tweeter/super tweeter of some kind. I was also thinking about trying to add Dirac room correction to my system. Then recently I've been reading about how far class D amps have come, and maybe thinking of trying something in that vein. Enter miniDSP's new FlexHTX; eight channel dsp with Dirac built in--talk about flexibility. So, and bear with me here....consider an active three way PAP clone using the FlexHTX as the cross over. Drivers would be two Bianco 15" drivers, a Tang Band W8 full range driver in the middle, and some sort of AMT or Ribbon tweeter mounted next to the full range, NEO 3 for example or Mundorf ($$). Amplification would come from two three channel Purifi based class D amps like Buckeye or one of the other similar ones out there. I'd run the woofers up to 400hz, the tang band from 400-8k or so and the tweeter from 8k up. With the functionality of the Flex I can do all the x-over work digitally, time alignment etc and room correction. I'd still have two channels in the x-over left over for subs if needed. I'm confident I can build the open baffle.

What do you all think of this idea? I don't love being bound to using the miniDSP's DACs...but to be honest DACs are all getting pretty damn good and the idea of getting the cross over "right" plus the in-room correction probably makes up for whatever shortcomings the onboard DACs might have.

What am I looking for? Big, open sound, excellent imagine, dynamics, clarity. Music is a wide range but mostly country rock (Grateful Dead, Bill Strings) and 80s rock and small group be-bop jazz. Really looking for that big immersive soundstage I hear people describe from open baffles without giving up the dynamic impact of high sensitivity speakers.

I'd have to liquidate most of the existing rig to fund something like this, and I don't love putting pre/dac/x-over all in one box but maybe that's the ludite in me. I keep reading/hearing great things about the clarity and transparency of these class D amps and seriously considering taking the plunge in this direction. Tell me what you think!

Joined 2021
I would recommend the minidsp flex 8 for your project, it has a noiseless DAC, the noisefloor is lower than the minidsp SHD which I also own. Can't compare with the mniidsp 2x4 first hand, but looking at the figures, I'm pretty safe to write that the flex8 performs way better than these.

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2019
Thanks all, the Flex8 and the FlexHTX I think are largely the same except the HTX offers balanced outputs. My thinking in using the full range is to avoid having a cross over in the mid-band. So I can run the tang band 400-8k or so, but still add in the top end with the tweeter.

edit: for those in favor of coax vs wideband...any recommendations for a coax that will work in an open baffle?

Joined 2019
Thanks for those recommendations Perry! Can you provide a little detail on how you used them and what plusses/minuses you think each offers? In terms of horizontal dispersion, did you have issues with using the 12" or 15"? I'm guessing all of them perform better in that respect than the wideband. I'm moving away perhaps from the WFW alignment of the PAP clone...maybe CWW would be better with this approach, and get the tweeter more at ear level.

Joined 2019
Perry - thank you for these designs! I will explore them all in detail as these are exactly the sound profiles I see in my brain and am trying to accomplish.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2008
Have you thought about an alternative to PC based DSP?
In this same forum there is a thread about Camilla DSP.
I use on Windows the combination Foobar+Mathaudio+Dephonica+Topping DM7
Regards

Joined 2019
Smanz - thanks, but I'm trying not to have a PC in the chain.

Perry - I've been reading up on the other thread on the BB and I'm going to pursue that design I think! It looks like exactly what I had in mind, only better than what I was thinking. I'll probably use some sort of butcher block for the panels vs the live edge design...or maybe just build in plywood to start.

If you were doing it over....would you tri-amp and use full DSP for the cross overs or stick with the hybrid passive DSP-two way design? I'll probably go for the miniDSP FlexHTX which will give me the balanced outputs and enough channels to also add subs later if needed.

It's up to you as a matter of how complex you want to go. I think technically the triamp option is better but it's more complex, more moving parts, and the biamp version with LC passive xover does work really well. If you're a purist go-for-broke guy, then the triamp probably is more appealing. I definitely recommend the FLEX over the 2x4HD.

Joined 2019
Thanks again Perry. I just ordered wood for baffles; found a supplier on Ebay that had 2" table tops in close to the correct size, 24" wide but it shouldn't make a crushing difference I hope I'm excited about this project! I'll probably stick with the 2-way for now but it will take me some time to get all the parts going.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2021
I would go for three amps, the flexibility you gain with the dsp during the tuning phase justifies buying two more amps. Especially cheap class d.
You can also precisely set the delays for each drivers, which makes a big difference in the 3D soundstage.

Reactions: 1 users