Single ended output Open DRC-DA8 into balanced input ICE Power 1000ASP

Few

Joined 2004
I am assembling an ICE Power 1000ASP power amp (with a 1000A "hanger" board for a second channel) to drive a new pair of subwoofers. I just realized the amps only have balanced inputs, with +/-12.8 volts specified as the input voltage limits. My problem is that I want to drive this amp with my miniDSP Open DRC-DA8, which has only single-ended outputs with a 2 VRMS range. I'm assuming I'll sacrifice a lot of dynamic range, and risk high noise levels, unless I convert the DRC-DA8 to a balanced signal before sending it into the 1000ASP/A.
  1. Is my assumption correct?
  2. If correct, what are the options for making the conversion?
I've seen "active DI boxes" that seem designed for a similar purpose. If they are appropriate, are there characteristics to seek out or avoid? Or, would a pair of DRV134PA line driver chips inside the ICE Power 1000ASP enclosure be sufficient? The ICE power supply provides +/-12 VDC outputs to drive accessories, so the power is already there. I have no experience with those chips but implementation looks straightforward.

Thank you in advance.
Few

It's probably fine - at least for a test. Just ground the negative input on the ICEpower modules as specified in the manuals and try it. Also, remember that the 1000A isn't exactly the same as the amplifier section on the ASP. Soundwise it probably doesn't matter for subwoofers, but the 1000A is not full range, there is no protection circuitry etc.

Few

Joined 2004
Thanks for the help. Good to know. Won’t I sacrifice a lot of the power if the input tops out at 2 VRMS?

Well, yes in theory you're limited to something like 270W/4R as far as I can work out, but until you try it you do not know if that actually matters. In theory it's only 6dB down from max. in terms of acoustic output from the speaker (1/4 power), so there's not much in it. Again, safe enough to test, decide what needs changing based on that :)