Simplistic NJFET RIAA

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Maybe one rail voltage pot is at the end of its travel vs what is set in the respective phono pot. My suggestion is power down first, then zero the phono pots. Measure Ohms across R12s for validating that. Power up. Start over with the voltage rail pots only for T.P. Tweak the phono pots little by little from there if necessary.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I must have gotten my pots Way out of adjustment. For a min., I could adjust TP only with voltage pot, and voltage with TP pot. I have them both at 34.2, and as close to 4.0 as I can get. I guess this is the way circuit works, and my level of electronic know how extremely limited, but it seems one or the other of these two could be controlled by a servo, leaving only one adjustment, but I have NO idea what I am talking about.

russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Maybe one rail voltage pot is at the end of its travel vs what is set in the respective phono pot. My suggestion is power down first, then zero the phono pots. Measure Ohms across R12s for validating that. Power up. Start over with the voltage rail pots only for T.P. Tweak the phono pots little by little from there if necessary.
I think this is exactly what happened. I assume these are 25 turn pots, I listened for clicks but never heard them. Sometimes I have to "listen" through a paper towel roll to pick that up! Old ears...I think I have things back in range now. The way my unit is built, one board faces one way, the other the other way. maybe I turned the wrong pot. It just requires sort of see sawing back and forth. Also, I was going all extremes, setting and changing from MM to HiMC to LoMC...I was listening to Pearl 3 while I worked on this one, now to switch back out.

Thanks!

Russellc

And Iron pre possibly?
I built Iron pre kit without iron.
My amplifier have already iron so I felt like too much.I used charcroft zfoil,Khozmo shunt attenuator with charcroft,DIY manganin wire resistor for offset.I feel much clearer than roon DSP volume but no gain.

Thanks,good to hear about Pana caps. I will try Panasonic FR someday,here FC are more around and cheaper.
Recently so many audio grade parts are disappearing here.I bought nichicon gold and KZ 100,220,470 and 1000uf for my future build.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I built Iron pre kit without iron.
My amplifier have already iron so I felt like too much.I used charcroft zfoil,Khozmo shunt attenuator with charcroft,DIY manganin wire resistor for offset.I feel much clearer than roon DSP volume but no gain.

Thanks,good to hear about Pana caps. I will try Panasonic FR someday,here FC are more around and cheaper.
Recently so many audio grade parts are disappearing here.I bought nichicon gold and KZ 100,220,470 and 1000uf for my future build.
Iron-less pre it is then. Yes, the recent go-to "audio" parts phasing out situation is a shame. Specialty arguments aside they all were known quality parts from first rate manufacturers.

Lowest possible power supply 3V
And audiophile-favorite circuits with passive frequency correction and no common feedback.

Attachments

• RIAA-JFET V1.0.png
    RIAA-JFET V1.0.png
    56.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Pcb.png
    Pcb.png
    203.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 3D.png
    3D.png
    211 KB · Views: 20
  • АЧХ.png
    АЧХ.png