Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Hello Simon,

you're dealing with some edges but you can't get a circle here. My suggestion is to implement a new front end which is a well balanced and a base for your phono pre:

Search for a Garrard 401, place it in a good plinth and use a tonearm from Thomas Schick, cartridge Denon DL103. Later on you can upgrade if you like...

A transformer is quite a good idea and there are pro's and contras. I like transformers but they must be from the top league. The Salas design is somewhat quite and the sound comes out of the nothing so I'd recommend to use the 57dB version first and you can modify it later on to decrease the gain to 44dB and use a step-up transformer - if you like to do then ...

Hi Joao

I apologise it has taken so long to get back to you on the thread, but friends made are never broken, as they say.

As you apreciate my vynal playback is under close scrutiny at the moment, and an intelligent plan must be made to ensure an overall sonic result.

I followed your line to Thomas Schick's tonearms, and looked with interest at the results of a proficient industrial engineer at work.

However the squareing of the circle as you suggest is most definetly not on the cards here.

The idea of a longer & longer tonearm to square the circle just dosen't work however pretty the metalwork.

A recent link by a fellow diyAudio member has served to straighten the circle however.

A superb link to fine (cheap) litz cable from another member, provided also the logic to go tangental, as well as the relatively simple means to do so.

As Thomas Schick and yourself both know, the only way to square the circle is to play the LP's how they are made, SQUARE.

My EVIL suspended subchassis turntable will stay in the mix, & another contender, in the form of my un-suspended Dual deck will also keep kickin' the grooves, in a new SOLID bottom.

The wretched SME atrocity will also remain, as it simply sounds 'cool'.

Thanks for your advice to take my system to the rubbish tip, it makes me laugh even more knowing the best source of precision bearings, is in scrap VHS players at the rubbish tip itself.

Cheers...Simon...:rolleyes:

Will have to address transformers, Later...............

Attachments

• DSCF2340 (Large).jpg
    DSCF2340 (Large).jpg
    138 KB · Views: 500
Hi Joao

I apologise it has taken so long to get back to you on the thread, but friends made are never broken, as they say.

As you apreciate my vynal playback is under close scrutiny at the moment, and an intelligent plan must be made to ensure an overall sonic result.

I followed your line to Thomas Schick's tonearms, and looked with interest at the results of a proficient industrial engineer at work.

However the squareing of the circle as you suggest is most definetly not on the cards here.

The idea of a longer & longer tonearm to square the circle just dosen't work however pretty the metalwork.

A recent link by a fellow diyAudio member has served to straighten the circle however.

A superb link to fine (cheap) litz cable from another member, provided also the logic to go tangental, as well as the relatively simple means to do so.

As Thomas Schick and yourself both know, the only way to square the circle is to play the LP's how they are made, SQUARE.

My EVIL suspended subchassis turntable will stay in the mix, & another contender, in the form of my un-suspended Dual deck will also keep kickin' the grooves, in a new SOLID bottom.

The wretched SME atrocity will also remain, as it simply sounds 'cool'.

Thanks for your advice to take my system to the rubbish tip, it makes me laugh even more knowing the best source of precision bearings, is in scrap VHS players at the rubbish tip itself.

Cheers...Simon...:rolleyes:

Will have to address transformers, Later...............

Hello Simon

yes I agree that it's logic to use a trangential tonearms, like the disc was cutted - and I used a tangential arm some decades ago as well, the Goldmund T3, and I miss him.

Good hint. May be I should think about to design one...

"precision bearings, is in scrap VHS players" ... ok but my definition of precision bearings is something different.

Regarding turntables, I will not discuss about Duals etc because they don't play in my league / division.

Just curious about your comments regarding MC step-up transformers :)

Oh No ! not my Dual to the rubbish tip as well ?

Hello Simon

yes I agree that it's logic to use a trangential tonearms, like the disc was cutted - and I used a tangential arm some decades ago as well, the Goldmund T3, and I miss him.

Good hint. May be I should think about to design one...

"precision bearings, is in scrap VHS players" ... ok but my definition of precision bearings is something different.

Regarding turntables, I will not discuss about Duals etc because they don't play in my league / division.

Just curious about your comments regarding MC step-up transformers :)

Hi Joao

My interest in this thread as a new member at diyAudio, is the building of a new phono preamp, incorporating the input of numerous members, which as the stats speak for themselves, has captivated the attention of countless Nirvana seeking members (Kurt sucks, but 'Something' is def a career highlight, sorry fans IMO, I bought the LP, but it's not worn out like my Roses collection).

My current phono preamp originaly made in it's first guise back in 1988 has contained various 'audiophile' bloopers, including:- powering from the amp PSU, feedback, tantalum capacitors, 78/924 regulators, lack of shielding & being screwed to a plank of wood.

It has however provided me with hours of listening pleasure along with my stalwart Dual turntable (which is not in your league / division), and of course lots of records.

League / division, has somehow led me to consider the recent, and totaly boring (IMO) World Cup football.

As a school boy, about the same time as I bought my Dual turntable, for way more money than I could reasonably afford, I also used to go and watch football at Highbury, the former home of Arsenal Football Club.

Back then, before players were paid $1,000,000 to keep the ball out of play for as long as possible, insuring the possibility of NO goals; the entertainment, and 'no rules' game provided by players such as Liam Brady for example, was knife edge, tongue biting stuff; just as an engaging audio system should be.

Having tinkered with the Dual turntable for 10 years of my youth, I can recomend 2 'upgrades' to users.
1. Place a small ring of 'Blu-Tac' around the tonearm at 1/4 the effective length (it does not matter whether fore or aft).
2. Adhere strategicaly placed rubber (car foot matting) to the mechanism.

Second hand rubber matting is available at your local rubbish tip for FREE, and if you don't have any 'Blu-Tac', it can be bought for $1; which I estimate is enough to 'upgrade' at least 100 tonearms (it doesn't LOOK pretty, but it WORKS).
I suspect a similar 'upgrade' to Thomas Schlick's tonearms would also work wonders).

I had not thought of re-plinthing the Dual untill recently, as Dual themselves had all but solved the problems of the unsuspended chassis deck, by going left-field, and mounting it in a (cheap and un-aesthetic) low mass plastic plinth.
Job done.
My main concern is listening to music, not perving pretty turntables.

It intrigues me now to try the Dual, in a Garrard style, 1 ton concrette plinth to satisfy my curiosity.
If there is any difference in performance then it probably stands to reason that a Garrard mounted in a low mass plastic Dual plinth will sound like a Dual (if the experiment is successful I will mail you my Dual plinth so you can try it with your Garrard).

I now have a few more bucks $$$ to spend on music than I did as a school boy back in the day, and those bucks $$$ for the most part, will be spent on exactly that, music; 12" chunks of cheap moulded plastic a bit like my American Express card.

I rejoice and sing hallelujah ! (Happy Mondays) every day, knowing that as a diyAudio'er, I am NOT listening to the sound of my American Express card; but that of my own 'no rules' game, just like Liam used to play at Highbury back in the day.

Cheers...Simon...:cool:

Attachments

• Liam Scores Against Spurs -  1978.jpeg
    Liam Scores Against Spurs - 1978.jpeg
    9.9 KB · Views: 447
  • Liam Brady.jpeg
    Liam Brady.jpeg
    6.9 KB · Views: 404
Hi Joao

My interest in this thread as a new member at diyAudio, is the building of a new phono preamp, incorporating the input of numerous members, which as the stats speak for themselves, has captivated the attention of countless Nirvana seeking members (Kurt sucks, but 'Something' is def a career highlight, sorry fans IMO, I bought the LP, but it's not worn out like my Roses collection).

My current phono preamp originaly made in it's first guise back in 1988 has contained various 'audiophile' bloopers, including:- powering from the amp PSU, feedback, tantalum capacitors, 78/924 regulators, lack of shielding & being screwed to a plank of wood.

It has however provided me with hours of listening pleasure along with my stalwart Dual turntable (which is not in your league / division), and of course lots of records.

League / division, has somehow led me to consider the recent, and totaly boring (IMO) World Cup football.

As a school boy, about the same time as I bought my Dual turntable, for way more money than I could reasonably afford, I also used to go and watch football at Highbury, the former home of Arsenal Football Club.

Back then, before players were paid $1,000,000 to keep the ball out of play for as long as possible, insuring the possibility of NO goals; the entertainment, and 'no rules' game provided by players such as Liam Brady for example, was knife edge, tongue biting stuff; just as an engaging audio system should be.

Having tinkered with the Dual turntable for 10 years of my youth, I can recomend 2 'upgrades' to users.
1. Place a small ring of 'Blu-Tac' around the tonearm at 1/4 the effective length (it does not matter whether fore or aft).
2. Adhere strategicaly placed rubber (car foot matting) to the mechanism.

Second hand rubber matting is available at your local rubbish tip for FREE, and if you don't have any 'Blu-Tac', it can be bought for $1; which I estimate is enough to 'upgrade' at least 100 tonearms (it doesn't LOOK pretty, but it WORKS).
I suspect a similar 'upgrade' to Thomas Schlick's tonearms would also work wonders).

I had not thought of re-plinthing the Dual untill recently, as Dual themselves had all but solved the problems of the unsuspended chassis deck, by going left-field, and mounting it in a (cheap and un-aesthetic) low mass plastic plinth.
Job done.
My main concern is listening to music, not perving pretty turntables.

It intrigues me now to try the Dual, in a Garrard style, 1 ton concrette plinth to satisfy my curiosity.
If there is any difference in performance then it probably stands to reason that a Garrard mounted in a low mass plastic Dual plinth will sound like a Dual (if the experiment is successful I will mail you my Dual plinth so you can try it with your Garrard).

I now have a few more bucks $$$ to spend on music than I did as a school boy back in the day, and those bucks $$$ for the most part, will be spent on exactly that, music; 12" chunks of cheap moulded plastic a bit like my American Express card.

I rejoice and sing hallelujah ! (Happy Mondays) every day, knowing that as a diyAudio'er, I am NOT listening to the sound of my American Express card; but that of my own 'no rules' game, just like Liam used to play at Highbury back in the day.

Cheers...Simon...:cool:

Dear Simon,

I do, or better will, not response or comment your opinions - that can every reader do in his own way. I only wanted to help you, nothing more or less.

As I can see we don't speak the same language. But we have one in common, that's listening to music and adore it.

So have fun and enjoy your life.

My very best regards
Joao

Did the tone come back to neutral with those as well? Some arms will not produce the same hf energy with some mc. VTA play, and last resort tweaking of the hf Riaa cap's value isn't out of the plan. But the cart has to break in before final VTF/VTA also.

P.S. I have made a mini subjective comparative survey rather recently, mainly to examine C0Gs for the Riaa filter. I had used a DCB1 with 2 outputs. One I kept DC, the other I was connecting several caps, MKP10 and FKP1 amongst them. Also PIOs (Jensen copper foil, K40, K75 mylar&paper in oil), PP,TF Solen, Auricap, Cog 33nx3//, and a few others, also some bypassing tests with FT-1 22n.
I was listening to DC vs capacitors forth and back. The DCB1 has this trait that is not aggressive at all but has bags of detail, so those caps did not have to balance out tone to be picked as more suitable. I was just looking for nearest to DC. The Wima seemed as the most synthetic to me. FT-3 was very neutral and nearest to DC for detail and size. The K70 120n Polystyrene was great, it only loses size and projection. The C0G/NP0 was like good silver Mica, but a bit cleaner.

So, are C0G/NP0 caps better than Silver Mica for RIAA equalization caps?