5 pin din connection point to point on RCA?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't have the diagram... and I'll be doing just what you are next week. I plan to use a multimeter and trace the connections from the (usually color-coded) cartridge pins to the male DIN connector coming out of the tonearm. Then I'll write down which DIN pin corresponds to which cartridge pin.

On the cartridge end, the left channel will be white for "positive" and blue for "negative". The right channel will be red for "+" and green for "-". These correspond to the white phono plug for left, and the red phono plug for right. This rhyme helps me remember which is which: "Left is white, red is right".

Alternatively, if you have the old cable, you can trace the pins on that.

looking down on the face of the stock din plug with the holes being at the top there is letters indicating wire connections as follows...centre hole is tonearm ground...left from that is the left channel rca outer then centrepin consecutively...right side of centre hole is the same...first hole right of the tonearm ground is right channel rca outer then center pin consecutively...checked with ohm meter to make sure...this should be standard with most tone arms that are 5 pin din to rca...my first attempt at building my own interconnect for this purpose was rather challenging to say the least...using a cat six 3 pair cable modified by stripping outer jacket and using two of the most tightly twisted pair for music and one other conductor of third pair placed with then drill twisted all together till cable appears as one...a cardas female and good quality rca...heat shrink used where required...my first impression was failed attempt because I could hear hum when none was heard from stock?...I suspect the lack of shield was causing this...moving power cables around (120v and 24v lamp) changed volume of hum...however during record playback I seem to have noticed a sonic improvement over stock that was significant enough to leave it plugged in for now...got more supplies today being more shrink and 1/2" braided shield (that **** aint cheap)...failed when the shrink split after heating with a toaster...off to get a proper heat gun and yet more shrink...this cable will be the most expensive yet and have built a 24 pair cat 6 into a two channel speaker cable...cable was free though lol...cutoffs from different places can be had for free

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Just in case you'd need it later:

tonearm_connections.jpg

Ciao, ;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

You're welcome.
My first name is Frank indeed.

Don't know why this drawing so hard to find off the internet

If, like myself, you need to solder up half a dozen or so a month you'll know how to find that pic, trust me. :)

Actually, if you google for 5 pin phono-connector, then select images, it should be in there somewhere.

Ciao, ;)

bump this one

I am looking for a chassis 5pin DIN connector for my DIY turntable ... I only found a really cheap one but I'd like to use something sturdy and reliable. Does 5 pin XLR by neutrik mate with DIN? or do you know a source for DIN sockets for chassis mounting?

thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.