Alpine MRV-1507

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Alpine MRV-1507 Fault

Hello all,

As is normal for the internet I'm asking for help with something!

I have one of these amps from a friend, according to him he accidentally touched the +12VDC from a power cap to the chassis of the amp. The protection light came on (don't know what colour) and it hasn't made a sound since.

It's been sitting around for a couple of years, only really getting round to looking at it. I suspect its a power supply fault at the moment but could use
some guidance.

PSU - Thurlby Thandar Instruments PL320QMD
Multimeter - HP E2373A
Have an ancient oscilloscope if needed.

With amp connected to bench supply (14.4V current limited)
Power Light - flashes red (low batt voltage)
Music Light - flashes green (music input)
Protection Light - flashes red (RCA ground float)

Grounding RCA gives:
Power Light - flashes red (low batt voltage)
Music Light - green - (no music input)
Protection Light - green (Normal)

Test points TP5 to TP7 gives +49.5V and TP5 to TP6 is -49.5V which are correct.

TP1/TP2 and TP3/TP4 give 0mV, I didn't adjust VR401/402 at this time.

Current draw on the PSU is about 1500mA

I'm thinking next should be the IC601/602 voltage checks?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Current draw from supply - 200mA
With PSU board disconnected from Amp Board:

IC601

Voltages ok except on pins 3, 9, 10

Pin 3 - should be 2.36V, reading 3.81V
Pin 9 - should be 3.36V, reading 0.5V
Pin 10 - should be 3.36V, reading 0.5V

IC602

Voltages ok except 3, 6, 9, 10

Pin 3 - should be 2.36V, reading 3.84V
Pin 6 - should be 4.2V, reading 3.75V
Pin 9 - should be 3.24V, reading 0.5V
Pin 10 - should be 3.27V, reading 0.5V

Voltages out on CB603:

Pin 1 - -46.8V
Pin 2 - +3V
Pin 3 - -69.3V
Pin 4 - +73V
Pin 5 - +3V
Pin 6 - +52V

Looking at the datasheet for UPC494GS pins 9 and 10 are the outputs?
No emitter output = gate not active = issue with inputs or ICs dead? Or something further back dead?

If there is no output from this to the power transistors how is there voltage on the supply cable to the amp?

What next? :)

Last edited:
Hi Perry,

Reading through your excellent material as we speak! Been several years since I looked at electronics, I never grasped switchmode and PWM circuits the 1st time round! Head is spinning...

What's confusing me (well most of it is to be honest!) - if pins 1 and 2 are both 0.9V then why is pin 3 at 3.85V?
From your Switching PSU page it would infer that this should be close to 0V for 50% duty cycle, why do Alpine give a reference of 2.36V?

With pins 9 and 10 at 0.5V I presume that this is the meter interpretation of the square wave output? So I still have a functioning PWM just at reduced output/duty cycle from pin 3 being at 3.85V?

I'm sure this is babble, sorry!

I'll dial the PSU down tomorrow and remeasure the voltages. I'll see about digging the scope out too, maybe that'll help me see what's happening.
Any suggestions of what else I should be looking at?

Thanks
Peter

Last edited:
Hi Perry,

Should have picked up on that, duh..

I've remeasured at 11.5V source and I'm seeing exactly as you said.

Pins 1 and 2: 0.85V
Pin 3: 90mV
Pin 4: 226mV

Pin 9 and 10: 4V

Voltage outputs on the PSU CB603 are about the same as before, little lower as expected:

Pin1: -44V
Pin2: +3V
Pin3: -60V
Pin4: +62V
Pin5: +3V
Pin6: +50V

Little skewed to the +ve rail but still no load on it.

So is the PSU is actually ok and the LowBatt light is a red herring?

Guess I'll have to start deciphering the amp schematic now!

Hi Perry,

I've ordered a replacement op-amp and zener. This is only a detection circuit though isn't it?
So the lack of sound is still something else wrong? Should I be looking at the audio path through the preamps? Sorry I'm getting a bit handheld through this!

Thanks again
Peter

Ok the amp seems to be working now! Potentiometers and switches are all fine.

It must be the same as PCs and servers that seem to like a rebuild once in a while. Maybe removing/replugging connections has cleared a bad contact or something.

Source was iPod: 3.5mm > 2 RCA
Speakers were 2 tiny 0.5W 8ohm internal PC speakers.

I'll try it properly at the weekend and seem if I can get it to run at sensible power levels.

Thanks once again.

Tested this morning on a set of 15" drivers, seems to be working fine (other than protection cct)

Just plain odd, I tested this on the same rig at least twice before posting here and there was nothing out of it.

A big thankyou to Perry, you selflessly share your knowledge with others and that is a rare thing nowadays.

I'll hang about here, there's a lot of interesting projects and developments that caught my eye. Hopefully I can help contribute something back!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.