Soundstream D200

ZC:
The ADS PQ amps always sounded lifeless to me. We compared them to the SS amps way way back when and the SS just had more life to them. the PQ's just sounded...compressed is probably the best way to describe it.

That's a good way to describe them, IMO. Good clean amps, nothing to gripe about. Just kinda lifeless. I'd still like to have a couple.

And ZC:
The HK CA260's were awesome amps. always wanted one but never was able to afford one. and at that time the other contender in the market was the Carver car amp that was supposed to have been pretty good. i heard many guys run the carvers on the lows and the HK's on top. and there was the CA240 the lil bro to the 260 and even one smaller yet. was it the 220?? something like that, but the 260 was the bad boy of the day!

The Carvers (M240, 120x2) I installed were disapointing, every time. They weren't expensive, and were probably worth their price, but lackluster and disappointing for 240W.

But the CA260 remains at the top of my short list for great car amps.

H/K also made a CA215 at 15Wx2 and a CA205 at 5Wx2, and BOTH of these little amps were fully discrete, straight off the 12V supply!

That D200 is a beautifully simple design, a little lower rail voltage than most 100W/ch that I've seen. Looks like a great project...

Zero Cool said:
That is a pretty simple text book amp circuit. and all discrete! newer amps are chock full of op-amps and surface mount crap and yuck. simple, clean, using pretty generic parts as well. A42/92 small signal transistors and TIP 142/147 outputs.

It is very similar to the Pass A40 with some updates

OHHH looking at the PSU schematic maybe the power supplies already were dual mono. been a long time

The early??? D200 has dual supplies - each on it's own single sided PCB.

d200_early.jpg

A later??? version has a double sided PCB and adds a stereo/mono switch.

d200.jpg

The D200II has a single supply for both channels. Uses MOSFET instead of bipolars and has switch selectable transformer taps for 4 or 2 ohm operation. It is an unregulated supply despite using a 3524 PWM chip.

d200ii.jpg

Well guys, I have come to a difficult decision. I think it is time to sell off all of my D series amps. I has (2) D200 series I, (2) D100 series I, (1) D60 series I, and (1) D60 Series II. They all work great and are in good to exellent cosmetic condition. I have been holding on to them for about 7 years now and still have not used but three of them for about a year. I would like to get as follows, but will consider offers:
D200 = $225 each
D100 = $160 each
D60 = $75 each

Please contact me by email as I only read this forum a few times a year. cwald240sx@charter.net
I still have a D200 and a D100 for sale. As well as 4 NIB Focal 10L6411 Aluminum subs and some other choice goodies. All old School.