HIFIMEDIY T1 SOUNDS HARSH AND BRIGHT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for reply what is a zobel. Allso any idea why my amp is not that powerfull im useing 90db mission speakers but to get it loud i have to wind it round tree quaters of the way same as my amp 6 basic
That means either your pre-amp is too weak, or the input impedance on both amps is too low. BTW. the AMP6 already has a Zobel filter on the output. I don't know about the T1.
You're best to sell the T1 and get a more powerful 41Hz amp.
A couple of AMP11's would fit the bill quite nicely.

That means either your pre-amp is too weak, or the input impedance on both amps is too low. BTW. the AMP6 already has a Zobel filter on the output. I don't know about the T1.
You're best to sell the T1 and get a more powerful 41Hz amp.
A couple of AMP11's would fit the bill quite nicely.

Hi scratchey allways fancied the amp 11s or the trupath but i am not good enough to build it

Thanks nic for reply i have not changed the gain yet as i dont know what value resisters to put in..All so would makeing the gain higher make it sound more harsh at top end. What caps make and value do u recomend on the input

Try audiophile 2 - 3 uf caps (mundorf etc..)
changing gain would not make it sound more harsh.
replace R2 and R3 with 30K or 40K. 40K would double the gain and might be too much (20K are standard).

To be honest im thinking of getting another 41hz amp as the amp 6 basic blows the t1 board away so smoothe and natural mor detail more dynamic just better all round. But im not up to building it my self. If people on here have not tried one yet you must there fantastic amps for the money

Faulty T1 update

I have a T1 amp and would not say that it sounds harsh and thin on bass, but i do have other issues.

Firstly there is switch-off thump. Does yours do this?

Secondly the DC offset on the left channel is unstable and impossible to set within the desirable range of 0 - 10mV. Whether this has any bearing on the switch-off noise I do not know :confused:

I'm using a Connexelectonics SMPS300 at 35V for the power supply.

The nice people at HifimeDIY agreed to replace my T1. The new one has no switch-off noise, no hiss (which was an issue with the original board) and what's more, it sounds better too :)

Thanks HifimeDIY :D

Im not saying anyone is wrong but have you heard the amp 6 basic. Compared to the t1 board. I admit the t1 board sounds louder but not as dynamic if that makes sence. The 41hz amp comes nise and smooth then when there is a loud part in the music it does come louder. But not just that female vocals sound natural with no harshness diana krill girl in the other room sounds great with the 41hz amp but the t1 just no were near as good

Hi
I have built several 41hz kits including the amp6 and i have purchased the T1 among others - rest assured there is something wrong with your particular board or set-up if it is sounding worse than the amp6. As stated before you should get a noticeable improvement in quality and 'sense of more unlimited power' (from the additional watts) here. Amp6 is a very good amp but is based around a chip designed for a car radio... the T1 uses technology that is 'more spread out' and can sound absolutely amazing with the right configuration. Ask for a new board to be sent..

Ported

If you are sure you have eliminated all potential set-up problems I suggest you just contact them and ask.

Things that could produce harsh, bass lean sound are
  • poor ground connection on signal in - causes both channels to carry difference between left and right - poor bass and distant voices and mad wide sound stage give this away - check your wiring and that all the plugs/sockets are ok.
  • Poor impedance matching on input - i.e. its overloading your source signal - causes a boxy, restrained harsh sound - although input impedance value should be similar to amp6 but the pot might lower this a notch?? (check it is 50K as suggested) - and/or try both amps with a low impedance source such as headphone out from MP3 etc.. If that is better then maybe you will need a preamp/buffer for you source..

Hope this helps..

Ported

Allso how would i go about returning the board i have

With any luck you'll only have to return your amp to Norway for a modest postage charge. That's what happened when I asked for my amp to be replaced after e-mailing mail@hifimediy.com.

The new amp came quite quickly from a UK address. All in all I'm very satisfied with the service I received :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the help everyone i am running it on minimum voltage but 20 amp would this cause any problems. Allso how would i go about returning the board i have

I'm thinking that you have dicked around with the ancient Marantz to the point that the things' output is seriously reduced... problematically so.
The Amp 6 "should' power your speakers Quite Adequately.
Try an Unmodded CD player or MP3 or whatever you can borrow as a test of this theory.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.