Commercial Projector Ballast for DIY?? Need Electronic Wiz!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been cleaning up the scrap pile and have salvaged a few power supples and ballasts from some junk projectors. I recently bought an Osram Powerball 150w hid. I crushed the jacket and removed the lamp and am retrofitting it into a Toshiba reflector.

I have looked and I cant find a ballast this small that is cheap.

My problem comes with as how to power this. I have a 165W UHE AC ballast. The ballast is very very well made and its smaller than a 1$ bill. I am able to get the lamp powered on with all the old projector guts hooked up fans and everything required. I am working on trying to eliminate all that junk and just keep the power supply and ballast. This thing is really really blinding bright coming out of the reflector. I am not worried about overdriving the lamp by 15w. The lamp is rated 12000-20000 hours. It will be a perfect retrofit. 4200k 90CRI

From playing with the control wires I am able to get the ballast to start the ignitor but it will never come on. I am wondering if theres a way to bypass the control circuit.

IMG00044.jpg

YWH you never cease to amaze me. GREAT WORK!!!This ballast has 4 wires going to it. I assume they are lamp enable lamp lit ground and economy mode. I will try to short the lamp enable and lamp lit and see what happens.

Do I short the optocouplers or do I connect one to another?

Well I took this outside in the garage and did some testing off the 220V. The 150w osram powerball gets blinding bright out of the stock reflector.

I think the arc is too big to be focused properly. Its odd I placed a white object about 1 inch from the reflector and it was blinding bright. I think the LCD projectors still need a point source when I tested in a projector it was very dim compared to an auto hid with a much smaller arc gap. I was assuming that these projectors just needed the light area flooded and the lenses took care of the rest.

Hello,

I need to use the ballast from my old IBM ilc200(lp530 projector's clone) without the rest of this projector.

So, I want to extract the IBM's ballast and use it with a diypro.us bulb for a other application.

I think it's possible, but I don't know which opto to bypass... :confused:
Can you help me please ?
(sorry for my english :eek: )

Sebka33, from France.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.