A Subjective Blind Comparison of 2in to 4in drivers - Round 4

Select the driver that you think sounds the best.

• A

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • B

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • D

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • E

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • F

Votes: 12 29.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I got the price mixed up with this beauty.....

Or mixed the one at right below they all three share same AirCirc design at back, first two has Textile dome diaphragm and third one Beryllium diaphragm.

Attachments

• SS_tweeters.png
    SS_tweeters.png
    192.8 KB · Views: 332

S..t ! They made it ! It should be the end of the world ! It beginns to have no sense ! :(.... at least for diy because in the side of the brands, it's the delirium & pandemonium* for a long time (I mean about the price...as the sound I really don't know !)

What about the silver "fractal" back ! Is it in nano Pi factor damping pastic ??? they called it the nano breath variovent ?

Wesayso ! two array of 25 each :D ? (good thing is you really have the time to listen to each version before adding one tweeter !

* (copyrighted) :tweeter cone made with as² 'skin of the Evil : you need to sell your soul to the Evil to pay you a pair (not the pair below for the woofers :it's even more expensive !)

Last edited:
S..t ! They made it ! It should be the end of the world ! It beginns to have no sense ! :(.... at least for diy because in the side of the brands, it's the delirium & pandemonium* for a long time (I mean about the price...as the sound I really don't know !)

What about the silver "fractal" back ! Is it in nano Pi factor damping pastic ??? they called it the nano breath variovent ?

Wesayso ! two array of 25 each :D ? (good thing is you really have the time to listen to each version before adding one tweeter !

* (copyrighted) :tweeter cone made with as² 'skin of the Evil : you need to sell your sould to the Evil to pay you a pair (not the pair below for the woofers :it's even more ecpensive !)

Did you look at the 30 and 60 degree plots from that tweeter? Looks like a full range can pretty much do that! The back side is as bling bling as they could make it... pretty good clue there... I prefer the more all business approach of Scan Speak. Then again, I'm not a good person to judge this. I use cheap TV speakers :p.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
For round 5 we should include the Seas 4 inch driver Linkwitz chose for his LX Mini speaker (acting as mid and tweeter). The published FR says it rolls off at 14kHZ, so there must be something else really good about it for him to have picked it. It seems that a TG9 would have been a better choice.

Drivers for next round have been tested and doesn't include Seas - as no one provided one. If you really want to see it included, well you know what needs to be done now. :)

Even if you buy one tv for each speaker you get from it : it's cheaper than the BBSS (the BlingBlingScanSpeak !)... but at 75 khz 80 db : the dogs can be interrested ! Ah no, I have a 16/44 dac chip !

The good new is Jay will beginn a new speaker with the cheap 10F as he burned the Vifa ! Jay, 4 ways for you ?

@ Bob : any 4" SL-Seas to send to xrk971 ? I saw the measurement from John K and it's difficult for an enthusiast to have any idea between the ScanSpeak, The Vifa and the Seas !

@ X,

if Only some could send you :

- http://www.visaton.com/en/chassis_zubehoer/tiefmittelton/ti100_8.html
- http://meniscusaudio.com/bg-neo-8s-p-1276.html
- http://www.sbacoustics.com/index.php/products/midwoofers/5-satori-mw13p-8/ (it's a 5" but...)

Out off topic to benchmark the PRV AUdio as well in listening condition through your reccordings ??

Maybe Mr SL could provide one 4" SL-Seas, or local Seas distributor ??? (blessed by John K. ;) )

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Did you look at the 30 and 60 degree plots from that tweeter? Looks like a full range can pretty much do that! The back side is as bling bling as they could make it... pretty good clue there... I prefer the more all business approach of Scan Speak. Then again, I'm not a good person to judge this. I use cheap TV speakers :p.

The CSD and slew rate may be very good compared to conventional tweeters used by mere mortals and TV speaker addicts.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member

Hi Godzilla,
Thanks - I missed your post. Glad you are enjoying the TC9's in your OB's. They sound wonderful with a good woofer supporting the low end. What is your crossover point and are you running active or passive XO? I think if you like the TC9 and the PA130, you will like the PS95-8. It's like a miniature (lower sensitivity) PA130 with higher extension and blended with a TC9's mid range.

What frequency is this extended bass on the B80?

I only listened by ears, so it doesn't have to be a "real" elevated LF response, but I believe it could be, because the perceived more LF is so obvious.

May be because B80 is so responsive to micro details [is it very sensitive?], or based on my experience, it is the good phase tracking between both drivers down to LF.

If measured, may be there will not be found big difference, but from experience, small difference will turn out to be significantly audible.

I think it is this "feature" from B80 setup, that made it sound different [most of the time sounded weird to me] from other drivers.

I only listened with clip 2 as I finished my amplifier around ten minutes before the reveal. With small speaker [five inch] I couldn't hear it but with my ten inch it was so obvious

[With the newly finished LM3875 amp, I didn't have the courage tho to connect to my main speakers]

White waveguide is something I can 3d print. Can you come up with the shape and STL file and I will print one for all three of us to enjoy :D Max height x width is 7.5in x 9.5in.

you can 3D print waveguides?! maybe you did mention this before to me. Let me think on this. I may ask you for a very small waveguide for my RS28f tweeter.

also looking at the frequency responses of this round, I can clearly see a rising treble (baffle step) in the 10f, tc9. tg9, (but basically appears in all the drivers) which wasn't there before in previous rounds. Glad my hearing picked this up and that my EQ corrections during listening were not misplaced.

My top3 picks were #1-TG9, #2-TC9, #3-10f and the TG9 does have the flattest response in this round. I know I prefer flat response, but I have also been trained to hear flat response. I own the 10f and am very happy with them, but I do EQ them flat to remove the bafflestep rise

Interesting :).

X recently shared sound clips where some better 2" and 3" metal cones are paired his metal cone woofer reference monitor RS225-8, those sound clips sounded so good that it made me order fiberglass cone woofers to pair with 10F to see if cone material coherence move anything positive. 22W/8534 and 18W/8434 latter seen below naked first listening.

Excellent choice BYRTT!!
If I would get an 8" or 10" woofer for a FAST I think I would also get one of the discovery woofers. And I know Troels loves the ScanSpeak Discovery line (like his most recent 4way). I would basically build this speaker but with the 10f/8414 switched to the 10f/8424 and no tweeter
ScanSpeak-3W-Discovery

@ Bob : any 4" SL-Seas to send to xrk971 ? I saw the measurement from John K and it's difficult for an enthusiast to have any idea between the ScanSpeak, The Vifa and the Seas !

Maybe Mr SL could provide one 4" SL-Seas, or local Seas distributor ??? (blessed by John K. ;) )
I would expect SL to laugh at our method of evaluation, and lecture us on the lack of validity of any subjective test. Then he might point out the weak links in this particular subjective "experiment". (sorry x)

Round 5, if there is one, really needs to be objective, as in no opinions, just scientific facts. FR we know, step response would be nice (i saw it posted for two of the drivers). Differential gain would be nice (how gain varies across positions of the diaphram - overload compression and such; does it soft clip or hard clip mechanically? symetrical? What percentage of the mechanical dynamic range is fairly linear?). Ringing from gaussian envelop tone bursts would be nice (the right way to do a CSD - Linkwitz talks about this on his website). Harmonic and I.M. distortion over frequency at several levels would be nice. A test for "resolution" of the cone material too (?). Some of these tests are somewhat redundant with each other. Just brainstormin' here. I'm sorry I don't have the ability to contribute any of these things with what I have at my disposal.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Excellent choice BYRTT!!
If I would get an 8" or 10" woofer for a FAST I think I would also get one of the discovery woofers. And I know Troels loves the ScanSpeak Discovery line (like his most recent 4way). I would basically build this speaker but with the 10f/8414 switched to the 10f/8424 and no tweeter
ScanSpeak-3W-Discovery

That is also the speaker I want to build one of these days and got me the 10F/RS225 whereby I swapped out the SS woofer for the Dayton and went with sealed vs BR. Would like to follow his passive XO speaker design just to try it. It is not transient perfect though.