• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB for TPA3116/8 PBTL bare pcb

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No photos. My build was ugly--lots of crooked SMDs with fat gobs of solder. It's amazing that it works at all. I had forgotten to order one pair of resistors, and in my haste ordered a pair in 0402 size. That was an adventure. The board is mounted inside a ridiculously oversized Yamaha M4 chassis. Power is supplied by a Meanwell 24V PS turned down to its minimum 21.5 volts. Front end is a Schitt Modi. It sounds very good.

No photos. My build was ugly--lots of crooked SMDs with fat gobs of solder. It's amazing that it works at all. I had forgotten to order one pair of resistors, and in my haste ordered a pair in 0402 size. That was an adventure. The board is mounted inside a ridiculously oversized Yamaha M4 chassis. Power is supplied by a Meanwell 24V PS turned down to its minimum 21.5 volts. Front end is a Schitt Modi. It sounds very good.

No such thing as an ugly build as long as it works well. Please post photos. Others will be more inspired to share their work as well. I'm also interested in seeing your 3-section OB with the Wild Burro Betsies. I have a pair of vintage SEAS coaxial 12" drivers with ALNICO magnets that I believe would sound great in an open baffle. I tried them in a JE Labs OB, and they sounded fantastic.

Okay, you asked for it! I'm using a gutted Yamaha M4 box. Modi DAC, 47 Lab passive pre.

nZCcJsV.jpg

h4PUnHE.jpg

TTMoWQ8.jpg

ROxZvcg.jpg

Very nice--amps look better than you described. Thanks for posting the photos. I may have to experiment with the three panel OB design myself. The vintage SEAS coaxial drivers are 95dB efficient and should present a copacetic load to the TPA3116 amp. I believe my Digikey order will finally ship. Already got my CoilCraft inductors to build my amps. I have a pair of Copper heat sinks used for CPUs that I can adhere to the TPA3116 ICs.

The speakers look ridiculous, but my wife and I love how most everything sounds now. The panels look crazy splayed out in the photos, but they only look half that crazy in person, honest.

One mistake I made that you might want to avoid is to use reasonable-sized hinges. I found some really nice hinges but there were BIG and they really need for the wood to be mortised in a bit to fit right. So now the ends of each panel are forced apart by a few mm. I like to think that the sound is now optimized because of that. Cherish your delusions.

Thanks for the kind words.

Finally got around to populating the DUG amp yesterday. I have to attach a couple Copper heat sinks to the ICs. I hope to have some time to hook it up later today or tomorrow, and listen to it with the pair of CineMag CMLI-15/15B input transformers I've been using with my modified Yuan Jing TPA3116 blue amp. Thanks to DUG for producing high quality boards and installing the TPA3116 IC.

2015-03-21 16.43.42.jpg

Looking good Rhing, and thanks for posting the high res pic. Any plans on the enclosure?

I have another Modushop Galaxy Maggiorato GX287 230 x 170 mm enclosure with 10mm Aluminum faceplate that I will probably use for this amp.

Galaxy Maggiorato GX287 230 x 170 mm pannello frontale 10mm ARGENTO

I did have enough time today to connect my DUG-1 TPA3116 PBTL amp. My modified Astron RS-12A has no problems driving this amp. It sounds great, but I'll give it more time before I share more detailed listening impressions and comparison to other amps.

2015-03-22 13.27.31.jpg

Special thanks to DUG for producing a great amp.

Last edited:
I'm using this as a power amplifier connected to my Audio Research LS7 tube line stage preamp. I haven't really looked into implementing a volume control with input transformers connected to the differential inputs. I would think that the volume control would have to be wired to the transformer secondaries.

This amp has the lowest noise of any TPA311x amp I've built to date.

BOM updated

Hey all, here's the BOM I just made for this through mouser. I bought 2 boards, so one will be master and 1 slave, set for 32db Gain and 15kohm input impedance.

Of course, take a peek if you want to proofread, but it might also save some folks some time. I have plenty of good caps, so I did not include, nor did I put the inductors - I will be making the air coils.

It's a tab delimited file, but better than nothing I suppose since the board doesn't work with .xls attachments.

Hope this helps someone.... or someone helps save me from a terrible mistake. :)

Attachments

• Project_Mar23_0846PM.txt
    3.2 KB · Views: 126
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.