Noob Building an F5-HA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,
Thank you so much for your assistance selecting my first project! Have decided to build the F5-HA, hope that I can ask for assistance (be kind it is my first time).

Have read the 44 pages of EUVL's F5-HA Thread, and understood the best I can. Also gone through cloud85's F5-HA Build thread.

Starting to put together my parts list. Hope that I can ask questions. Too intimidated to ask questions in the F5-HA Build thread.

Thanks!

Don't be intimidated. Everyone gotta start somewhere.

As mentioned in our PM, F5-HA might not be as suitable as a first project. The SMD soldering will be quite a challenge if you have not done soldering before. Not forgetting checking for oscillations and other trouble shooting when problem arises.

Try something simpler first. And when you are ready/ feel confident then try tackling this project. If not it might end up being €500 worth of frustrations

I have been there before :)

Walking before running

Don't be intimidated. Everyone gotta start somewhere.

As mentioned in our PM, F5-HA might not be as suitable as a first project. The SMD soldering will be quite a challenge if you have not done soldering before. Not forgetting checking for oscillations and other trouble shooting when problem arises.

Try something simpler first. And when you are ready/ feel confident then try tackling this project. If not it might end up being €500 worth of frustrations

I have been there before :)

Thank you cloud85,
Now looking at the Pass headamp, Marsh Headphone Amp and the AMB A20. Any suggestions ?

-Mark

I don't want to rain on Cloud's parade (Hi there :))...

@museguy: what have you built before? Trying to get a picture of what you could dare to tackle.

The F5HA can be built P2P on veroboard with a number of different power supplies. Did you plan on building with EUVL's boards? Or otherwise?

Maybe it could be done...

Even more so if he is starting on perfboard. Looking at his headphone list, I would recommend one of AMB kit, be it the M3 or CKIIi. no bias to do, no matching required and still can power HD650 quite well.

He can even contact glass jar audio to get a full kit. Saving headache from buying from mouser, but learning less in the process :)

M3 is similar to Pass DIY HA except it needs bias adjust.
The Pass has the clever autobias circuit which also takes care of drift.
So it is more idiot-proof.

IMHO CK2 is not for beginners.
Although it is ZGF, it is not simple.
And because of the Sziklai output stage it can still oscillate.
You also have to match transistors if you want to build it right.
Before you go for that you should consider the XEN ZGF Desktop first (whenever it is ready).
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/head...portable-headphone-amplifier.html#post4623648

So for first project, I still recommend either Pass DIY HA or something like the O2.
Board is also 16x cheaper than F5-HA (or anything from us).

Patrick

Last edited:
All the heavy hitters

oh boy,
I was trying not to get too intimidated and all the heavy hitters came to my party !

Thank you all for the advice. A couple of years ago I tried to build the CK²III, but gave up when I couldn't find all of the parts. Seems that several of the parts were no longer available and couldn't find substitution parts.

Heard back from Meldano about the Pass Headamp and looking at the build, feeling overwhelmed again. Maybe I should wait for the XEN ZGF Desktop.

I am in the 99%, looking for good low cost SQ for:
Raspberry Pi > Volumio > Audiophonics 9023 Dac > Amp

Thank you for your guidance.

I don't want to rain on Cloud's parade (Hi there :))...

@museguy: what have you built before? Trying to get a picture of what you could dare to tackle.

The F5HA can be built P2P on veroboard with a number of different power supplies. Did you plan on building with EUVL's boards? Or otherwise?

Maybe it could be done...

Dear Stixx,
Took a look at your website, beautiful work !

Was thinking of building the EUVL's F5-HA on a protoboard,

Transformer: 50va transformer. 15 volts, dual primary
AS-0515 - 50VA 15V Transformer - AnTek Products Corp

Case: 330mm x 280mm, would like also put my Raspberry Pi in the same case. Thinking volume and 1/4" headphone jack on the front and IEC ac plug with fuse and on/off on the back
http://diyaudiostore.com/collections...nt=12174804228

lm317/337 Regulator:
LM317T LM337T 317 337 Dual Voltage Regulator Adjust Power Supply Board DIY Kits | eBay

10,000uf of caps: In addition to the items on the F5-HA Amplifier build ?

Toshiba jfets
http://diyaudiostore.com/collections...-pairs-grade-b

10k pot: I assume I need a dual ?
Original Alps RK27 27 Type Dual 10K Potentiometer Brand New | eBay

Thank you for your guidance !
- Mark

Thank you Patrick

M3 is similar to Pass DIY HA except it needs bias adjust.
The Pass has the clever autobias circuit which also takes care of drift.
So it is more idiot-proof.

IMHO CK2 is not for beginners.
Although it is ZGF, it is not simple.
And because of the Sziklai output stage it can still oscillate.
You also have to match transistors if you want to build it right.
Before you go for that you should consider the XEN ZGF Desktop first (whenever it is ready).
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/head...portable-headphone-amplifier.html#post4623648

So for first project, I still recommend either Pass DIY HA or something like the O2.
Board is also 16x cheaper than F5-HA (or anything from us).

Patrick

Dear Patrick,
Thank you for your guidance. I just emailed JDS about their O2 kit, looks more along the complexity that I can handle. Has a build guide and JDS has support. Also emailed AMB about the CK2, but I don't believe their kits include parts.

Will keep a watch out for your XEN ZGF Desktop

All the best,
- Mark

Last edited:
> I am in the 99%, looking for good low cost SQ ....

Then you should not build anything from me.
Just the XEN ZGF Portable alone has a Bill of Material > 180 USD.
Enough to buy you a finished product with lots more features.

Patrick

Dear Patrick
Thank you for your guidance.

At this point looking at either the A20 Headphone Amp build or the Marsh Headphone Amp build. Either seem like a better first project.

All the best,
- Mark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.