Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
In UNIX and its derivatives, you can make an archive out of a bunch of files and folders, with a program called 'tar'. Originally, it comes from "Tape ARchive", as it was the program that would let you write data to tape drives. The tar command thus produces files called tarballs. If you unpack a tarball, you untar it.

UNIX is the only environment where you can get stuck in a tarball, get untarred, and come out clean.

I don't know about you, but I greatly prefer 2nd order crossover slopes. Electronic or "passive". Been a paid designer of speaker systems from the late 1970's and that has been my experience. I strongly prefer electronic (active) crossover designs, but the cost in amplifers is high. That and a ton of wire between the amps and speakers.

No, do not locate the amplifiers near the speakers.
Who are you directing to not locate the amplifier near the speakers? I know it's not me, because I never intimated I did, or would. I prefer the slope that gives me the desired result, myself. In this case it was adding bass with the amount of taper required for the summed output to be flatter than a bump in a limited frequency band.

Just a general comment. We have lurkers and many members who read these things. There has been a trend where amplifiers are placed near the speakers. When you have multiple amplfiiers the temptation is higher to do that.

-Chris
Some of the finest speakers around, ATC SCM150Pro, -110 and -100, have the amps built into the speakers so it can't be that much of an issue.

Especially since they are better than their otherwise identical passive consumer counterparts.

I think that ATC use different amps for bass, mid and treble...
That is literally the definition of an active speaker ie the only component between amp and driver is a piece of wire/cable. At least in Europe.

Speakers with a single onboard amp followed by a passive xover are called 'powered' and they are stupid (and thankfully rare) because they combine the all the disadvantages of passive speakers with the disadvantages of active ones.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Systems with built in amplifiers (in the box) suffer much higher failure rates. Cooling is compromised, and the components are subjected to vibration. Not great for reliability.
See my tag line : "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should" © my late wife
My decades of experienc bear this out, and yes I repair guitar amplfiiers as well. A "head" and separate speaker is more reliable, but not greatly so since the head also suffers from cooling issues - and they are not designed to be super relaible like say - a paging amplifier (thinking Bogen).

Reactions: 1 user
When I see live music at a venue, the bands invariably use screechy powered speakers. They plug right into the mixing board. There's no more sound man, no more careful mixing, just let it rip. The sound is all mashed up like a bad casserole. It is loud though.

Very few people care about sound quality any more. People love my system but they scoff at it too. A common question I get is why I can't build something like that in a tiny package. This is impossible to explain to the average person. They think sound is magic and the laws of physics are just a suggestion.

My generic explanation is "big speakers = big sound." It's possible to get big sound out of a smaller package but there's always compromises. The Grateful Dead were right to use their wall of sound. It's totally nuts but there's nothing like it.

Reactions: 1 user
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Bill,
Sure, no problem.

Generally speaking, where is most of the resistance between an amplifier and speaker driver?

Which signal level is higher, speaker or input signal? Input signals can run around phono cartidge levels and be audible, true or false?
Which signal is at the highest impedance and therefore subject to capacitive loading or noise pickup?

Okay, we'll use a balanced line. So, is that additional circuitry with it's issues, or an imperfect matching transformer?

Systems with built in amplifiers (in the box) suffer much higher failure rates. Cooling is compromised, and the components are subjected to vibration. Not great for reliability.
I've seen active ATCs with built in amps (the large active ATCs house the amps in a rack away from the speaker) that had run every day for 40 years without breaking down.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Generally speaking, where is most of the resistance between an amplifier and speaker driver?
depends how far your amp is from your speakers
Which signal level is higher, speaker or input signal? Input signals can run around phono cartidge levels and be audible, true or false?
I don't get the question
Which signal is at the highest impedance and therefore subject to capacitive loading or noise pickup?

Okay, we'll use a balanced line. So, is that additional circuitry with it's issues, or an imperfect matching transformer?
well all my gear is balanced just because I can*. Not sure about the issues but works for every recording we listen to as studios are all balanced. But in a domestic environment where it's rarely more than 3-5 metres from source to speaker there is no drawback in unbalanced runs of that length. The lower cost of interconnect vs speaker cable and no angst of any of the speaker cable things that can go wrong works for me.

* I also run at pro levels to the power amp. Again because I can. Whitlock solved the problems so I don't have to!

Status
Not open for further replies.