miniDSP kits, our answers to your technical questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Im very happy, just ordered a 2nd one two minutes ago ;)

Now if I could figure out bi-quads. I just learned that Lscpad does bi-quad stuff (even the free version). I think this could be an incredible subwoofer EQ with LT and SSF abilities. Maybe a new plugin specifically for subwoofers with all the bi-quad stuff done for the users would be a great new option and help sell it to those with no mathCad or really techincal skills but want a low cost LT/SSF EQ.

Last edited:
Doug20, can you explain the difference between your suggested setup and the standard 2.1 plugin?

I am looking into using MiniDSP as a low cut filter in order to free my Electrostatic speakers from bass below 80 Hz while I am using a servo sub for the real bass.
Although I have my concerns on the sound quality, dynamic range and distortion etcetera...
I will use the MiniDSP in the digital loop of my NAD M2, which is really not unpleasant to use.

I will have to defer any opinion on 2.1 channel and SQ stuff to someone else. Im an HT guy so my focus is a little different and I do not want to mislead you.

I will say that from the measurements I can not really see how this product will hurt the SQ. I run ribbon (Neopro5i) speakers in my office and Im currently testing the MiniDSP with them and small subwoofers (Velodyne SC-8s) that run up to 150Hz.

Last edited:
I have question.

I want to run 2x 3 way speakers, each with separate amplifier, I realize i would have to use 2 boards, and 2 minidigis. the question is, is there a way to link the boards to one USB input so the crossover points etc are both programmed at the same time, or do i have to program one, save the program, switch the usb to the other minidsp, and then program that one? it could become tedious!

I don't think so.

In fact it is quite easy to configure the other channel, when you have configured the first. You just have to move the USB cable to the other miniDSP and 'Synchronize', then the same configuration is loaded into the other miniDSP. After that you have to configure things you want to be different - normally at least 'Input channel'.

Hello,

Sorry for maybe a bit stupid question. I am currently working on a project inspired by John L. Murphy array, consisting of Dayton-ND90-8 drivers and i am designing also a smaller desktop linear array, consisting of four or phive drivers per speaker. I am planing to use external or internal class D amp and i don´t like the idea of passive crossover compensation of the drivers.(But if you think that it is possible i will listen happily :)
So my question is : Is there a good way of using your mini dsp for making the response flat as possible ?

The parameters of the driver are here

http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/290-210s.pdf

Thank you very much for your answer (s)

Last edited:
Hello,

Sorry for maybe a bit stupid question. I am currently working on a project inspired by John L. Murphy array, consisting of Dayton-ND90-8 drivers and i am designing also a smaller desktop linear array, consisting of four or phive drivers per speaker. I am planing to use external or internal class D amp and i don´t like the idea of passive crossover compensation of the drivers.(But if you think that it is possible i will listen happily :)
So my question is : Is there a good way of using your mini dsp for making the response flat as possible ?

The parameters of the driver are here

http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/290-210s.pdf

Thank you very much for your answer (s)

In answer to your question, using a miniDSP configured with a 4 way crossover Advanced would allow a level of customization to my mind very sufficient for a linear array.

We've actually experimented a bit on our own, but only in a test phase and nothing we would be able to showcase.. :) A lot more to do, but with the Advanced Biquad programming, you get flexibility to "taper" the array and even have the ability to investigate Beam Steering.. Some fun stuff typically reserved to ProAudio applications, yet still possible with a miniDSP (custom filter + delay + gain control)

Hope this answers your question.

@Neutron7 and bluewhale,

please refer to the minidsp user manual where we try to be clear on the requirements of powering the product.

5V - 24 VDC is indeed fine since we have an onboard switching regulator. The board only requires less than 150mA @ 5 V

Hope this info helps

DevTeam

Is it possible to bypass the onbard regulator,if you have an good analog regulator to use?

Mmmh, maybe not such a good idea as we don't have control over your "custom" regulator... You may be taking a bit more risk than it's worth with the potential of voiding the warranty if you do damage to the board.

Maybe send us an email to info@minidsp.com to explain your case to us. (miniDSP SN# and specs of your PSU)

DevTeam

Dynamics Processor Plugin?

Hi, I have just purchased a balanced board for evaluation in my DIY bass instrument preamp builds. I have been using other DSP solutions for this for a few years now: the Rane RPM26z, and a TAS3103-based system in an IcePower implementation from SpeakerPower. Your products seem to be just what I've been waiting for, and I'm really looking forward to bending them to my will. ;)

The most obvious added feature I would desire is limiting and/or compression, and a multi-band compressor would be quite a bonus, for bass guitar especially. A downward expansion capability (think noise gate, essentially) would be really useful as well. Just throwing ideas out there while I wait to get to work. But of course I have no idea how much horsepower your processing engine actually has? :cool:

all the best,

----Charlie Escher

The most obvious added feature I would desire is limiting and/or compression, and a multi-band compressor would be quite a bonus, for bass guitar especially. A downward expansion capability (think noise gate, essentially) would be really useful as well. Just throwing ideas out there while I wait to get to work. But of course I have no idea how much horsepower your processing engine actually has? :cool:

all the best,

----Charlie Escher

Hello Charlie,

Good to hear about your project and send us some pics on the showcase section of the miniDSP forum when you're done with your project! :)

A comp/lim is indeed something that we'd like to implement as well.. Maybe in a future plug-in... We'll have to see if that fits in the DSP processing left... :)

Have fun with your board,

DevTeam

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.