Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Series 3-way is live!
I put my test crossovers in enclosures and took measurements. Tweaked with DSP PEQ.
Previous post with picture of the baffle and drivers.
Other post showing how I was using 3-way active DSP until today.
Measurement image shows:
  • Red - Before EQ w/ series crossover
  • Gold - After EQ w/ series crossover
  • Cyan - 3-way active DSP crossover
  • Violet - EQ w/ former parallel crossover
  • Measurements taken with MiniDSP umik and REW from the listening position (~2m), on-axis with the mid, psychoacoustic smoothing
This isn’t up to scientific standards (measurements across time, spl levels aren’t absolute, etc. :clown:), but the general approximation is valuable for me.

The active 3-way sounded really good and looks better +/- overall, but I’m happy to be able to easily switch out power amps again. AND bring my Iron Pre back from its slumber. :spin:

Edit: I rotated the little coils in the boxes to be perpendicular to the big coils after an astute comment from @xrk971.

Attachments

• IMG_1504.jpeg
    IMG_1504.jpeg
    613.9 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1506.jpeg
    IMG_1506.jpeg
    290.7 KB · Views: 92
  • OB_3Way_Comparison3.jpeg
    OB_3Way_Comparison3.jpeg
    184.1 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, those were the days when open baffles and controlled dispersion was all the rage :D

i remember reading through your blog and all the other "open baffle sites" when designing my speakers, and it was real exciting how easy it had become trying out different baffle designs, cardioid vs dipole, etc, due to the emergence of cheap dsp and measurement mics.

i have to admit though, i was never totally happy with the crossovers before moving to a more powerful DSP platform than the minidsp 4x10, and i was often tempted to start anew with something requiring bit less EQ.

i kind of wondered what happened since you stopped building more speakers, so i'm glad to hear that the reason was you being content with your design.

if you haven't yet, you should really try out some advanced TTD dsp yourself though. ;)
the difference compared to regular frequency response XO is pretty mind-boggling.

There's a bunch of norwegian DIY'ers, including myself that just transitioned to Audiolense, and i think we're all pretty happy we took the plunge, even though there was quite a bit of suffering for those of us transitioning from a itunes/mac to a jriver/windows based playback chain :tongue:
@bjarnetv: Had I been able to PM you with this question then I would have done, so apologies to everyone for this not being a gallery post. Seven years on, are you still happy with Audiolense ? I ask because I am planning on buying it for my speaker projects. Feel free to PM me to avoid further OT posts !