Thiel CS-2 (CS2) - Schematic for Crossover Network wanted

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Who can post this schematic?
Perhaps one of the members know also, which driver brands and models are inuse in this phase linear loudspeaker ?

Please do not confuse with the Thiel model "CS2.1" (CS 2.1)

Attachments

• Thiel CS2 naked. jpg.jpg
    Thiel CS2 naked. jpg.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 591
  • Thiel CS-2.jpg
    Thiel CS-2.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 443
  • thiel_cs2_a.jpg
    thiel_cs2_a.jpg
    573.6 KB · Views: 440
  • Thiel-CS2.jpg
    Thiel-CS2.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 427
Even if they cost $3000/pair, I'd have to rate them an excellent buy. At $2250/pair, these Thiels are a steal.
Thiel CS2 2 loudspeaker | Stereophile.com
I would give them an overall (+/-) value of new-50%, for me and it's 6+ years old.
edit: sorry, I guess your's is an older model.
Thiel CS2 loudspeaker (price of $1350 a pair - reference in this stereophile article, $1650/pair CS2 on Larry Archibald page 1)
Thiel CS2 loudspeaker | Stereophile.com
Thiel CS2 loudspeaker Larry Archibald page 1 | Stereophile.com

Last edited:
I would give them an overall (+/-) value of new-50%, for me and it's 6+ years old.
edit: sorry, I guess your's is an older model.
Thiel CS2 loudspeaker (price of $1350 a pair - reference in this stereophile article, $1650/pair CS2 on Larry Archibald page 1)
yes, an older and other model: not the "CS2.2", but the "CS2.0" resp. "CS2".
Thank you for the stereophile links.
Very special is the fabric-covered frame, as you will see at the third image by post #1. There are no possibilities of inteferences and unwanted reflections in the mid-high frequency area.

Last edited:
A try to order a service manual by Mr. Tim DeYoung was not succesful - see my correspondence with THIEL Audio:

====================================================
Re: [customer service] Schematic and part list for your vintage model "CS2" resp. CS2.0"

Dear Andreas,

First off, thank you very much for your patience in dealing with out two week shut down. I am very sorry that I have not been able to get in touch with you until this time. But I am looking forward to helping you now that I am back in the office and the factory is up and running. Again, thank you.

Unfortunately that is information that we do not give out, as engineering is one of our very strong suites and selling points, we keep it pretty close to the chest so to speak. But I still think that I can help you out.

I would recommend utilizing a high-pass filter of around 45Hz, as this is the resonant frequency of the woofer and would result in the most smooth transition from subwoofer to loudspeaker. The -3dB point is 36Hz, so possibly even lower like perhaps around 40Hz for a crossover.

I hope this helped, if you have any more questions just let me know.

Sincerely,
Tim DeYoung
Customer Service & Technical Support
THIEL Audio
1026 Nandino Boulevard
Lexington, Kentucky, 40511, USA
Phone: 1-859-469-4349
e-mail: tdeyoung@thielaudio.com

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Schematic and part list for your vintage model "CS2" resp. CS2.0"
Dear sir's,
I am looking for this, because I want to add a subwoofer to this speakers and therefore I will create an additional passive high pass with help of an CAD software for crossover networks.
Please send me the schematic and the part list (transducer parts) of the model tested in stereophile there:

Thank you very much in advance.
Best regards
Andreas Kirschner
A. Kirschner, individuelle Basslautsprechersysteme

============================================

Therefore again the question regarded the schematic diagram.
Also images of the crossover network are helpful.
A friend of me want to know the quality standart from the crossover network of his CS2 device without dismanteling the cabinet.

Thank you very much for your help.

Last edited:
I own a pair of early CS2's. If your friend wants to know the quality of the crossover, I can assure you, it is probably among the best you will find in any speaker ever made. It features phase coherence, which makes it a pretty complex and well engineered crossover.

I have seen phase measurement over the years as this speaker has been reviewed. The response is very close to that of the Manger speaker.

Only the Manger speakers have impressed me enough to buy a pair. Unfortunately, I have not had an opportunity to build a proper enclosure for the Mangers.

I have not been successful in taking the the front plastic plate off my CS2's. Getting inside the box it may take some pretty brute force.

I doubt very much of the Theil organization will release a schematic of its crossover. It is as secret to them as the formula for Coke is to Coca-Cola.

The speaker needs a good sized room to show off its virtues, and also needs to be placed away from the back wall. Too close to a side wall will spoil the sound with side reflections that are to close in phase with direct sound. On account of its phase coherence, such reflections are more obvious with this speaker than others. This is a comment on its excellence as a direct radiator, not a criticism.

It is not the fabric cover that is special. What is special is the curvature of the front plate, designed to reduce diffraction.

Thiel CS2 - Stereophile.com

Albeit good they don't show in the measured specs the excellent quality you would expect from printed.
(I would bye them for $399 or 900 eur, although! link1, link2, link3)

Attachments

• Thiel CS2 loudspeaker Specifications.jpg
    Thiel CS2 loudspeaker Specifications.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 111
  • Thiel CS2 loudspeaker Measurements.jpg
    Thiel CS2 loudspeaker Measurements.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 289
  • Thiel CS2.jpg
    Thiel CS2.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 100

Attachments

• Thiel CS2 crossover broshure.pdf
    140.8 KB · Views: 223
  • Thiel CS2 image crossover network PCB.pdf
    134.2 KB · Views: 205
  • Thiel CS2 schematic without inductors.jpg
    Thiel CS2 schematic without inductors.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 248
  • Thiel_Seas H367 und weiche.jpg
    Thiel_Seas H367 und weiche.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 422
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.