World's most expensive Audio Power Amplifiers - $100.000 - $600.000

Last edited:

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I see the Kleinhorns get a mention in the "World's most weirdest speakers."

I asked my other half if she would let me build those for the living room. Her reply, and I quote, "Yeah, if you build those exact same ones. They are beautiful!"

Maybe hard to describe the sound if one has heard an amp together with only one speaker.
I heard a Wavac 833 amp and I believe it sounds unusual enough to describe it despite of knowing only its performance with one type of Kharma speakers. A very warm sound, too noisy and colored to fulfill any hifi standard, very emotional.
Hearing something together with Wilson speakers is always a problem since they brutally imprint their sound character on the whole playback chain. I would describe it as radiance, others have called it alien sounds. So I think I can´t say much about the Soulution, which I have heard whith the Wilson Maxx 3. I didn´t hear the Lamm ML3, but a Lamm hybrid amp together with the Wilson Watt Puppy 8. I think I can say it has some kind of un-natural saccharine sweetness which makes the Wilson sound even more alien. I heard the GTE Trinity chain together with Lansche speakers with plasma tweeter (probably the best tweeter in the world) and the electronics didn´t impair the stunning transparency of the tweeter in any way. One of the best hifi performances I have ever heard. Both the amp and the DAC a real "Materialschlacht" with hundreds of output trannies/ dozens of DACs in parallel. Seems to work.

Maybe hard to describe the sound if one has heard an amp together with only one speaker.
I heard a Wavac 833 amp and I believe it sounds unusual enough to describe it despite of knowing only its performance with one type of Kharma speakers. A very warm sound, too noisy and colored to fulfill any hifi standard, very emotional.
Hearing something together with Wilson speakers is always a problem since they brutally imprint their sound character on the whole playback chain. I would describe it as radiance, others have called it alien sounds. So I think I can´t say much about the Soulution, which I have heard whith the Wilson Maxx 3. I didn´t hear the Lamm ML3, but a Lamm hybrid amp together with the Wilson Watt Puppy 8. I think I can say it has some kind of un-natural saccharine sweetness which makes the Wilson sound even more alien. I heard the GTE Trinity chain together with Lansche speakers with plasma tweeter (probably the best tweeter in the world) and the electronics didn´t impair the stunning transparency of the tweeter in any way. One of the best hifi performances I have ever heard. Both the amp and the DAC a real "Materialschlacht" with hundreds of output trannies/ dozens of DACs in parallel. Seems to work.

I can believe paralleling DACs, because each doubling improves the signal-to-noise by 3 dB (2 noise signals add 3 dB, but signal adds linearly so it increases by 6dB), but paralleling transformers is a bad idea. Unless they're matched to a ridiculous degree (better than 0.1%), the current from the transformer with higher voltage output will only warm the windings of the other transformers. See: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-73408.html

And the Wilsons are no kind of reference at all. I haven't heard convincing music from any, and the simplest measurements show every single model is outrageously coloured across the midband. They do get a few things right: Bessel alignment for the bottom end (albeit somewhat screwed up by weird woofer arrangements in the SLAMMs), non-resonant cabinets (with some unfortunate protuberances causing early reflections), and ambience tweeters for proper room energy in the high frequencies. Now, I don't say a flat frequency response is the be-all and end-all - an outstanding speaker is made of many things - but at least try to get that right before concentrating on more subtle parameters, otherwise you're putting spoilers and a metal-flake paint job on a Trabant.

Reactions: 1 user
but paralleling transformers is a bad idea. Unless they're matched to a ridiculous degree (better than 0.1%), the current from the transformer with higher voltage output will only warm the windings of the other transformers. See: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-73408.html

Sorry, I am no techie, so I made a language mistake here: not output transformer (trannies), but output transistors (in the power amp)

Wiat about 1.600 000 EUR amplifier :)
Seen on AVS2017 Warsaw.

Attachments

• 9253C755-D47D-446D-A8B9-80B36A136BBF.jpg
    9253C755-D47D-446D-A8B9-80B36A136BBF.jpg
    990.4 KB · Views: 886
  • 1222FA97-5363-4314-96EF-78D0727F1C07.jpg
    1222FA97-5363-4314-96EF-78D0727F1C07.jpg
    989 KB · Views: 867
  • DF9BAF00-A3DD-461E-92B2-2795426F9976.jpg
    DF9BAF00-A3DD-461E-92B2-2795426F9976.jpg
    548.6 KB · Views: 813
  • 53886D9F-C076-4C55-86CA-56DB8914E3BB.jpg
    53886D9F-C076-4C55-86CA-56DB8914E3BB.jpg
    658.3 KB · Views: 817
I saw that beast. This is indeed the most expensive one, the heaviest, the most powerful class A etc. The question is... why doing this? Who will buy it? What loudspeakers is it designed for?

PKN Controls hello from the other side - 40kW from 14 kg. Record breaking power density and power conversion efficiency. Objective audio performance isn't so shabby as well. Not so expensive, at all... :)

Last edited: