BOSE in the news again, and it isn't a gushing review

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A funny thing happened to my wife and I yesterday, maybe not so funny. I went into a random store to buy a 6 pack of beer, and outside the sign said they had "craft beer". I'm a beer fan so I turned to my wife and said "great, I'll find something". As it turns out their "craft beer" consisted of a selection of Lagunitas and Stella, not exactly what I'd expected. I tell my wife when I get in the car that I bought Lagunitas IPA.

Well today, my wife starts getting ads for Lagunitas on her phone. I paid cash for the beer, didn't identify myself in any way, and the only way this could have happened is if someone/thing was listening in.

Now I also have an Echo Dot in my house and Alexa is always listening, so I'm sure there is no privacy anyway, but this was just creepy.

Didn't a similar thing happen with Samsung a few years ago?
They installed a third party app in one cellphone that accessesd any photos,supposedly in order to see the clothing brands the owners and their contacts wore so they could be more specific in ad targeting.
Thing was they didn't tell the customers and when it came to light it cost them a huge fine.
So many apps insist on access to almost everything on your phone now but a huge amount of people aren't even aware of the extent because they download and click accept without actually looking at just what they are agreeing to.
As ' they ' used to say always RTFM !

Well today, my wife starts getting ads for Lagunitas on her phone. I paid cash for the beer, didn't identify myself in any way, and the only way this could have happened is if someone/thing was listening in.

Now I also have an Echo Dot in my house and Alexa is always listening, so I'm sure there is no privacy anyway, but this was just creepy.

Businesses have been working on ways to correlate online purchases with in-person purchases for years now and the technology is getting better with each iteration :D

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Did you have a cell phone in your pocket, and more importantly was the GPS turned on? Could be that FB or Google simply knew you were in a liquor store that sells Lagunitas.

My FB time line (when I allow it) is filled with ads from things I looked at for work. I'm an engineer so that consists of ads for Keysight, Tektronix and AP test equipment as well as Mouser, and Element 14.. I don't use company resources for FB at work, but they figured it out anyway based on my coordinates. Facebook even asked if I was at work and correctly identified my employer..

Joined 2014
Paid Member
So why are the 'targeted Ads' so carp? If I buy a (say) camera I don't want to see ads for that camera for the next 9months. I might want to see ads for accessories like new lenses or a spare battery, but nooo, just ads for what I already have. what a waste of CPU cycles.

So why are the 'targeted Ads' so carp? If I buy a (say) camera I don't want to see ads for that camera for the next 9months. I might want to see ads for accessories like new lenses or a spare battery, but nooo, just ads for what I already have. what a waste of CPU cycles.

When I first went on facebook, I knew it was essentially a data miner, and ad server, so I put in some music and books that I really liked and waited to see if my ads changed. They didn't, I kept seeing ads related to my recent browsing history.... Look something up, and apparently that means I want to buy it....

in Amazon I put in some books and music that I already have, and it actually suggests plausible books and music...but it does this if you just browse, so no need to train it.

The ad servers out there (probably google) know my work and home pc's as I get ads for things I search at work on my home computer.

Last edited:

I bought an OnePlus 3t one week ago, now I see ads for it on every site I visit. If I Google OnePlus 3t, Google tell me that I bought this phone on ebay with link to the ebay listing.

So Google knows that I bought the OnePlus, still they show me ads for it. Do they think that I need another one?

You folks are way too nice. The advertisers pay to get to you. I happily click on the ads from places that for various reasons I am not fond of.

The banner ad I get visiting this site used to be correctly targeted. A few clicks and now I get one where there is no interest on my part. The humor is that their ad budget will be yielding below par results.

A bit curious to see if they notice and make changes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.