Tqwt or Seas 3-way classic by Troels

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
And what will you do if none of these will meet your expectations?

edit: by the TSP of both of the woofers, Seas ca22rny has surely an advantage by being able to play deeper bass notes than ja8008, a unit rigged for higher sensitivity. I'd choose Seas 3 way Classic.

Last edited:
I think you were far too hurried there. Do you think owners of the TQWT or SEAS 3-way look in every day? :D

I happen to be immensely impressed with the SEAS 3-way:

590043d1483638947-help-first-crossover-design-3-way-eton-speakers-troels-3-way-classic.png

Excellent crossover. Excellent driver choice.

SEAS-3-Way-Classic

The TQWT Mk III is a very different animal. About as good as a loud two-way gets, IMO. But you gotta wonder why it is still a work in progress. But I think you will love the unremarkable qualities of the 3 way. It's a keeper, IMO. Never heard it, but everything I like about a 3 way. And I have owned a few. A surprise hit in the community. Even Troels was slightly surprised.

Last edited:
I had the seas 3 way classic for several years. They are very good. I built ekta mkii earlier this year. The narrow cabinet fits my living situation better than the wider cabs. I will say that in my experience, the 3 way classic easily over powers smaller rooms. In both rooms I used them, they had pollyfill damping in the ports. I tried a well thought of 2 way in between 3 way classic and ekta, but always missed the sound of the small mid driver. The 3 way classic ruined me I guess. Im a blues and rock guy also, btw.

Thank yoi fot yoir oppinions. And what about dtqwt vs 3-way? Looks like dtqwt has extra bass section but it's more like to be 2.1 but not the 3-way speaker.

2.1 means subwoofer in mono to a stereo set, but that's not the case with Troels DTQWT, so it's a 3-way speaker, just not have electrical high-pass for the mid.
High efficiency big speakers is almost always a good choice if you have space for them and Troels knows the things.

My own impression of the TQWT variants is they are a glorified two-way with 8" midwoofer.

715080d1542008118-restoring-monitor-audio-r300-bookshelf-speakers-steen-duelund-1-414-root-2-png

And all the difficulties. Lot of expense involved in getting a horn loaded tweeter to cross low with less distortion, and avoiding cone breakup from the 8" bass.

Three ways just don't stress drivers much at all, So you can go cheaper.

646927d1511229072-suppose-shallow-vs-steep-argument-duelund-2-83-jpg

In fact one of my favourite designs is the old Wharfedale E70:

605562d1489602538-visaton-2-tower-monitor-audio-bronze-5-a-wharfedale-70-jpg

Twin mids! What a good idea. 3 way plus, imo. Not hard to implement. As oglethorpescolony mentioned, you must beware overpowering a small room with big speakers.

My own impression of the TQWT variants is they are a glorified two-way with 8" midwoofer.

715080d1542008118-restoring-monitor-audio-r300-bookshelf-speakers-steen-duelund-1-414-root-2-png

And all the difficulties. Lot of expense involved in getting a horn loaded tweeter to cross low with less distortion, and avoiding cone breakup from the 8" bass.

Three ways just don't stress drivers much at all, So you can go cheaper.

646927d1511229072-suppose-shallow-vs-steep-argument-duelund-2-83-jpg

In fact one of my favourite designs is the old Wharfedale E70:

605562d1489602538-visaton-2-tower-monitor-audio-bronze-5-a-wharfedale-70-jpg

Twin mids! What a good idea. 3 way plus, imo. Not hard to implement. As oglethorpescolony mentioned, you must beware overpowering a small room with big speakers.

Thank you, system7, for your extended answer. I was thinking of that 3-way would definitly outbeat any of 2-way.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.