Opinions about cheap Ribbons >3k5 XO with a 3" mid

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Hello,

The mid unit is a 3" ScanSpeak 10F 8ohms I'd like to XO no more than 12 db electrical at 4 K hz max.

My feeling is some ribbons could do the trick though I have a small budget, nearer to the Fountek's than Hivi's for illustration.

Now I know a better center to center spacing could be near 1.2 to 1.4 of the XO wave length for a dome or clode to the edge of a ribbon I also have the choice with cheapo very good dome, as some 22 mm and also horned ones by design or with a 3D party of shelves WG (Monacor, Visaton) or 3D ones as Augerpro's.

So the list is relativly big, but my feeling is a ribbon could be more forgiving with the XO I plan instead a dome.

Problem being is the design is monowired, passive. (the units are all 8 ohms)

Anythought on cheap ribbon models please ? Fountek neo 3.5 H for instance ?

It's true there are excellent dome also on my wisch list, knowing the spl should be around 86 db imho at XO with the mid :

Peerelesss NV19 non horned
Monacor DT-25N

SB26 CAC non horned
SB26STAC

Morel CAT378 (perhaps too short in the highs, but without Ferro ?)

DX25TG horned
XT25TG horned
Wavecore TW22WA10

There is no AMT, reading the good enough are outside of the budget.

If anyone have experience with the 10F and ribbons or tweeters of that list, advices much apreciated :). Would like to stay 12 dB XO !:D

Hey Iggy,

Do check OAudio AMT50

Loudspeaker shop | Omnes Audio AMT 50 | DIY

It is used in numbers of projects in K&T so there are some measurements. Also, it is used in Martin Logan 4i and over 3kHz it measures great even at 96dB/1m.

Here are my on and off axis measurements

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?attachments/Конзистенција-на-оси-png.101820/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?attachments/Конзистенција-ван-осе-png.101821/

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
But what is low enough with a planar ? Many cheap ribons or cheap AMT are not going much lower than 3500 hz circa in the budget I plan?

When you say low enough you mean avoiding such areas where our ears are not liking too much... put the word I don't find in your previous answer, please. The center of the mid cone being 5 cm, it's easy to be in the 1 to 1.4 WL between the two units. I have more a doubt about a 2nd order on the tweeter unit with such planars... But, my basic understanding is their impedance being flatter with a less visible resonance, they are maybe easier to live with ?

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Thank you for the details.

May I illustrate what you're saying cause not sure I understand what you meant.

Say the height of the ribbon, i.e. its radiating area is 5 cm. 5 cm is circa the wave length for 7000 hz. So if the cut-off of the XO is < 7000, it will radiate closer to a dome tweeter.

Did I understand correctly your words ?

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
5cm height (not area)? At 7kHz this will beam (narrow vertical directivity). This means horizontal and vertical are different, so you won't match a circular piston. If you go lower in frequency then vertical will also get wider, and begin to look similar to horizontal, like a circular piston.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Thanks. So not a big problem to cut off around 3500 hz with most of the little ribbons.
Any thought about the list I made according your expérience with some of them please?
The amt of Zvu's post seems promising and less fragile than a ribon...
Well the max power handling is 60 w rms IIR and that the one of the SB23nbac 8 ohms I chose.

That 10F is quite a capable little driver on its own!

It deserves a good performing tweeter if you're gonna go that way. Low distortion.

I always liked that Fountek 3.5h... but don't see it used a lot. I have some BG Neo3 sitting around to use eventually and the 10F is definitely a nice mid on my radar, but feel like the Neo3 is almost not good enough to mate with the 10F.

With a driver like the 10F if you're committed, the best tweeter would be the one that plays nicely with minimal distortion and compliments the mid well. Planar, ribbon, dome... It wouldn't matter to me. Gimme the best combo I can get. Unfortunately that takes a lot of shared wisdom or trial and error I cannot afford.

I look forward to seeing what you decide so I can live vicariously through you and your project ;)

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Many thanks guys for all the ref and advices in the low budget allowed. First diy loudspeaker, casual project, little 3 ways classic I hope to share if good enough. But the 10F I hope to stay cheap.

things are going slowly for many reasons, I'm on this for 6 months. Some photographs though, it's made to change easily of front baffle, so make à la Harbeth and as a first diy will be called : the "Hard bet"

Attachments

• 20210318_144421.jpg
    20210318_144421.jpg
    418.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 20210317_204608.jpg
    20210317_204608.jpg
    575.7 KB · Views: 57
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    620.3 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.