e-Speaker Kits - PHL ESg-2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just recently purchased PHL 3451 and Esg3 with Lambda SB12 from E-Speakers. I am still woodworking, but I did some tests and I am very happy with sound. I needed high sensitivity for my Cary 2A3s, and I will drive Lambda separately.
Also I will add that it was real pleasure dealing with Andre, who was very helpfull and who will customize crossover for your particular speakers.

AR,

I got the PHL / Esg2 kit from e-Speakers up and running the other day in surrogate cabinets. I should have the real cabinets finished tomorrow.

These speakers are replacing a pair of North Creek Rhythm Revelators. Basically an MTM using ScanSpeak Revelator tweeters and Scan Speak 18W/8545 bass midrange drivers.

So far, I really like them. Seems like both the PHL and Esg drivers are in a different league from the Scanspeak units.

Do you have any photos of your project ?.

I’ll post some of mine tomorrow.

Branwell

I do not have a pictures yet, but I will make them on Monday and post. I am gluing last front panel today on the woofer. It took me two months, of hard labor to come to this point.
I tested the speakers in enclosures, and I am trilled. I do not know which one I like more Esg3 or PHL. They work so nicely together, and 10" PHL is way to go.
Sensitivity of 100dB is quite amazing. Just culdn't wait to finish, but veneering is what is ahaid...:scratch:

ARII,

I got the cabinets built today. Made them from Red Oak. Easer than veneering and you can get it cut to size at Lowes and or Home Depo :)

I still need to radius the edges and then finish them. Should have them completed next weekend.

Here is a photo of what they look like at the moment. Not pretty, but it’s a work in progress.

Branwell

Attachments

• esg2 phl1340a.jpg
    esg2 phl1340a.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 1,625
Hello Branwell,
It is very interesting that you are replacing Revelator and 8545. Before I made the decision on PHL/Esg3 combo I was thinking to go for that Scan Speak pair. The sensitivity was my deciding factor, and the ribon tweeter seemed interesting. What is your opinion?
When you say they "are in a different league from the Scanspeak units." is it better or just different?
Thank you for the pictures.
AR2

AR,

Here is my experience with them.

The Esg2 tweeter has more overall detail, a much flatter sounding frequency response, is more dynamic and can play louder. It also has the ability to play more complex music with noticeably less smearing.

The PHL bass midrange has a more natural midrange, is much more dynamic and like the Esg, has better resolution. The only area the Scanspeak bass mid driver has an edge is in the low bass. The PHL1340 in a 17 liter box has an F3 of about 55hz where the Scanspeak in a 20 liter box has an F3 closer to 35hz.
Not a problem for me as I use subs.

Overall, the Esg / PHL combination can play more types of music well, doesn’t sound bright or harsh on recording that lean that way with the Scanspeak combination.
As a bonus, the Esg / PHL combination is more transparent and projects a cleaner more precise soundstage.

Branwell

Thank you for the info.
Talking about PHL, I do agree with you on the bass. By looking at their lineup, they do not seem to be big on the bass side, but their mid range is awsome. Only if you go on 15-18" they have F3 below 40Hz. I selected 12"Lambda speakers thet have F3 23Hz. They will be going out of bussines unfortunately.
Please post pictures when you are done.
Stay well

Peter,

My understanding is as follows……and I could be wrong.

The Esg line of ribbons has a flat frequency response.
The Raven line has a raising frequency response.

The Esg tweeters are designed by the same fellow that designed the Raven tweeters but designed more recently.

As to performance, I have no idea which is better. I would imagine that they both have strengths and weaknesses.

As to price, the Esg’s look to be a little cheaper.

Branwell

I hate the 30 minute edit restriction ...

Anyways, AR2, how does it sound? Piano and vocals, I expect will have much more weight, balance, authority compared to Scan Speak 845 or my Seas Excel W18.

Since you used the Lambda SB12? Why not use the Lambda TD for midrange as opposed to the PHL? I have not read any direct comparisons. The TD15M is supposed to be an excellent (though very big) midrange driver.

Do you mind giving dimensions for your bass cabinets? I'm looking to build bass stands, similar to yours, for my Ellis 1801s (uses Hiquphon OW1 and Seas Excel W18). I would love to get down to low 20s with good integration and tight bass.

Are you using a active crossover to integrate your bass units?

Thanks,

Al

Peter Daniel said:
Those Esg tweeter look very much like Ravens. What's the difference in performance and price?

Aurum Cantus (ESg or ARG) ribbons compeared to Ravens are:
- more rugged( ribbon does not pop so easyly) see also http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=78242#post78242
- magnetically shielded
- a bit cheaper but not so well build as Ravens

ESg differs from ARG, that it has felt installed inside for ribbon back wave damping (not shure if ARG has maybe added that feature lately)

argo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.