UGLY Looking Amp! - but good working

:cool: More pictures of Normal Ugly (but good) AMPS! :cool:
PLEASE post a picture of your NOT so well looking AMP!

---------------------------------------------------------
Of natural causes, it is only the most "beautiful amps"
that get pictures posted. They are running the SHOW.
But surely they are only "the tip of an iceberg".

95% of All Good Great Sounding DIY-amps are REALLY Ugly.
Made up of materials recycled from scrapyards.
And simple chassis of thin, 1-2 mm Aluminium.
No fancy LEDs or Knobs.
---------------------------------------------------------

I want to see more of these AMPS.
More of the DIY everyday reality. :rolleyes:

I could bet on that the amps that SOUNDS best
built by diyaudio members, are not very exceptionally looking....

/halo - has only built crappy looking amps
(Moderators: ;) Any GOOD loooking Amp in this thread should go directly to TEXAS! ;) )

here's my contribution to the all new ugly amp gallery ( very good idea actually ) though It's a bit sad cause we won't see any of Peters stuff here :)

Anyways, a very cheap looking amp and not even good sounding,

Hey Halo
/ChrisV

Attachments

• mina 0011 copy.jpg
    mina 0011 copy.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 13,405
Grrrrreat!

Sadly I do nat have a Digicam available, or else I would post a picture of my ripped and refitted Marantz amp sitting in a paper cardbox right now because I have not yet decided what the case should look like, or my DoZ pre-amp, sitting in an old Sony MiniDisc case with the cover taken off (not that I use the pre-amp, I simply built it to test it...)

The only Amp I finished that looks very decent is my End Millenium sitting in a standar 19" case with a computer cut frontplate (and a nice blue LED sitting behind the frontplate)...

It is building the electronics, testing and listening to the music I like, but not the hours-devouring (and often very frustrating) building of cases. So maybe I will stick to using 19" cases all the time (except for my GainClone, which I put into a "GeenClone"-like case from Conrad)...

Seems getting a cam will be unavoidable...

Bye,

Arndt

PS: I really like the solution with the big copper plate! You could put it in a frame and put it on the wall instead of a picture...

Ah, finally a thread where I can post a picture :)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

These were my first Zens, build six years ago, I don't have them anymore as they fell apart moving to my new place. That time I found my zens beautiful, but now I see them I think they are ugly, look at all the dust and scratches :)
My new zens are much more reliable, and sound better with new IRF250N. I'll make pictures when I can get my hands on a digital camera.
To bad I don't have pictures of my ugly 19" 4HE boz. But together they sound quite good. I tried them on B&W602 s2 but they sounded way to sweet, very laidback, maybe good for classic music but not for rock/pop which I listen most of the time. Now I have JM Lab cobalt 815 and they produce great sound and go really loud in my small room.

Hanzwillem said:
Ah, finally a thread where I can post a picture :)
My first Zens, build six years ago, I don't have them anymore as they fell apart moving to my new place. That time I found my zens beautiful, but now I see them I think they are ugly, look at all the dust and scratches :)
Dust and Scratches
My aluminium plates does not look shining and polished.
They are full of Scratches and marks from my tools.

Also nice to see Netlist have done some good Hardwiring.
That is the only true way for DIY.
Doesn't look at tidy as a tip-top PCB.
But hardwire is many time The Best Method to get performance.

halo - still misses a camera

halojoy said:

My aluminium plates does not look shining and polished.
They are full of Scratches and marks from my tools.

The aluminium 5mm plates are sandblasted, so they are not supposed to shine, but the rest was supposed to be black...

Ofcourse the insede was All p2p using the cheapest MKP and other ingredients i could find and still the sound was very good.

Christian said:
here's my contribution to the all new ugly amp gallery ( very good idea actually ) though It's a bit sad cause we won't see any of Peters stuff here :)

Anyways, a very cheap looking amp and not even good sounding,
Hey Halo
/ChrisV
I think that little amp looks very nice.
Maybe too good for this thread. :clown:
But okay, it could have been bigger.

Is it a power amp? What sort?
How many watts can it put out?

halo

Hey ChrisV,
your amp is really not that bad.
The reds knob is really funky and funky stuff grooves!:nod:
Mounting the heatsink like you did is exactly what I planned once to keep my tea pot warm.(yes, addicted to tea)

Is the amp class A, AB
then use it for your tea!

Regards

Jens - doesn´t like to waste energy

It's a very small power-amp based on the LM3886 chips ( sa ju att den var billig! )

The reason it even fitted inside that enclosure was that I used very little capacitans and a 80 W toroid. Sure it was a little cute but still ugly....

The red knob was later re-used in an even ugglier amp which also belongs in this forum, though I wanted to wait a while for the really uggly amp to come out :)
here's a pic

Best Regards
/Chris

Attachments

• postas.jpg
    postas.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 7,364
This is an UGLY one!

Originally posted by Nelson Pass in Thread: My first amp Pass Labs forum
By way of encouraging you lurking DIYers, I present
a photo of the very first amplifier I built from scratch
by myself.
It was gathering dust in my storage racks (think of the
warehouse at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark), and
I've been meaning to rehabilitate it.
Nelson has attached this Picture:
attachment.php

Thread:
My first amp - thread started by Nelson Pass
--------------------------------------------------------

His customers today should not be very happy
buying amps looking like that .......

halo

Christian said:
It's a very small power-amp based on the LM3886 chips ( sa ju att den var billig! )

The reason it even fitted inside that enclosure was that I used very little capacitans and a 80 W toroid. Sure it was a little cute but still ugly....

The red knob was later re-used in an even ugglier amp which also belongs in this forum, though I wanted to wait a while for the really uggly amp to come out :)
here's a pic

Best Regards
/Chris
Wow.Didn´t realize the amp has even a cool vu-meter.

The important thing with diy-amps is that it´s still always a special amp and NOT only to you.
Looking at such an amp somebody might ask:"Hey, what is this? A kind of flux compensator? May I touch that red knob? What´s that meter for?"
Another one walking past a perfectly finished Aleph thinking :"My god he must have too much money".
(Don´t get me wrong I still like to have one of Nelson´s produced amps or one of Peter Daniel chassis.):devilr:

Jens - still drinking tea