First official review of the GainClone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/audiooasis/audiozone.html
Looking back at our first 6 months of 2003 with its 40 hardware reviews total, the Audio Zone AMP-1 strikes me as the most exciting discovery yet - and there were quite a few bona fide hotties already. The AMP-1 is the one I'm most keen on turning fellow music lovers on to. It's got the mindblowing sonic merits and complete package perfection I'm now intent on getting across. Hopefully today's review accomplished that. In case things aren't clear yet, here goes the matching award:

Attachments

• award.gif
    award.gif
    6.8 KB · Views: 1,829
Wow, Peter !!!

Congratulations with this achievement! I hope you'll have success with this nice amp. And don't forget to sell it to somebody in the Netherlands, so I can hear it :rolleyes:

The part about the gaincloning in the article is funny. I think it's really cool that your amp has been reviewed! You'll be busy...

Fedde

dkelly60 said:
If you ever needed proof of the hipe and rip off involved in the audio industry this is it. 60 bucks worth of amp for 1765 what a bargin.

It is actually $1795, but for you I'll let it go for $2000. ;)
60 bucks for parts huh? Let me know where you buy yours, I'll buy mine there too. Then I'll have you put it together for me because you obviously work for free.

Hey Peter!

Much deserved CONGRATS! on a great review. It's clear to see
that the AMP-1 is truely a work of art that far surpasses it's
Eastern predecessor, both in value and looks :nod:

moe29

(i'd be glad to take that DEMO model off your hands if it
ever makes it back to you) ;)

Thanks everybody.

I have to say that Positive Feedback declined on a review, as my amp resembles Gain Card too much. I had some reservations about it in the beginning as well, but this is really a smart way to built a chassis, especially if you are not into a big size. Another advantage of the Gain Card based chassis is lack of heatsink fins, which might introduce some resonances. I didn't really check it, but I feel that using those polycarbonate blocks to hold the filter caps, provides some additional damping, which may be beneficial for the sound.

You might also noticed, that I took Mrfeedback's advice from one of his posts and I'm using brass shaft extentions.;)

I'm glad that the reviewer was using acrylic base stand, as the amp indeed sounds better when positioned in that way. I'm currently working on a supporting platform, which will accomodate source switching as well. In this way, I'll move away from copying Kimura San, and will try to be more original;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.