Power Supply for Aleph 4

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks, I'm building an Aleph 4 but I want to use a single 1000VA transformer. To minimize interaction between channels I want to use 2 bridges and two sets of caps (see schematics below).

My questions:
1) Is the value of thermistors TH1 & TH3 is affected?
2) What would be a suitable Digikey's part number for thermistor TH2?
3) Is a 25A SPST power switch enough? Could it be less?
4) Are there other values that would require a replacement ?

regards,
Gabriel

Attachments

• a4powersupply.jpg
    a4powersupply.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,824
:confused: KC006L-ND is the part number I had figured out for TH1 & TH3 but I still don't know what to pick for TH2. Sorry, I'm mostly a digital boy :D

:confused: Is the following thermal switch suitable (75ºC): 317-1085-ND, Datasheet. I would say yes, but it is rated at 15A which is not a big overkill. Anyway, I'm thinking of using two in parallel (one per channel)

:confused: What is the voltage rating of capicitors in the design (not PS' caps)? My guess is 63V.

:confused: What is the power rating of the 9.1V zeners? My guess is 1W.

Finally, the reason why I'm using a single transformer is to make my amplifier smaller. I'm trying to fit the Aleph 4 in a "regular" casing shape. Not a cube. Therefore, a good amount of the space must be used for heatsinks.

thanks, very appreciated help,
Gabriel

P.S.: What are your favorite online "audiophile grade" resistors/capacitors suppliers ? :confused:

Hi all, better if using transformer with separate secondarys, not center tapped - reason is big circulating earth currents - best to keep these curents in the power supply stage, and not in the transformer.
You will need large busbar for earth common to have chance of conserving star earthing arrangement at the currents involved.
If you can run seperate transformers is best, but you still need to apply the above info.

Good luck with it, regards, Eric.

Eric is right,

If you are using one transformer with one secondary winding the earth system is critical for minimal induced hum from circulating ground loops via the input earth for the left and right driver boards and the common star ground.

( remember the input will also to joined at the input source end from your pre amp, so there will be a circulating loop from input earths which are joined at the star bus system and the preamp outputs)

I have this problem with my stereo Aleph 5 using a common transformer because I am using seperate driver boards.

I suggest the only way to solve this is to use a single board for both channels of driver circuits to ensure a symetrical common earth system at the input earth and have star earth on the common earth bus bar for the supply filter caps.

If you are using Mark Finnis boards this should be simple to arrange, just place the input ends together with a 20 mill pad for the common earth and run a single earth wire from there to the start ground connection.

The only other wires on the star ground will be the signal input ground, the centre tap from the transformer and the common for each speaker.

I have read that it is also wise to run a short sub (say 5 cm ) from the centre of the main filter capacitor bus bar for the star earth point.

This is supposed to minimise the infux of high charging currents running across the bus bar into the input earth which will degrade low frequency distortion (ref Doug Self)

The above should solve the problem and I recall on the service manual for the Aleph 4 Pass uses a common board for both channels driver stages and joining the upper and lower power stages.

If this approach or a similar alternative not used you may be disappointed with residual background hum from your speakers and it will be impossible to fix.

The other approach is stacked dual transformers (like Mark Finnis Aleph 4 )with independant rectifiers and earthing bus.

I hope this helps

regards

macka

It´s a big NO No to use the center connection bar of the big capacitors as a star earth reference. It coses too many problems.
The best is to take this connection point from the big caps with a short as possible wire to the metal case and earth the chassis and use that point as reference earth point. You have to get away from the big caps.

What I was planning to do is to have my bridges/filter caps and drivers on the same circuit board (see diagram below). The center ground is located at the middle of this board (the pcb is drilled and a bolt emerges from the bottom of the chassis). The star earth reference is easily wired at this point.

Is this topology will ensure that I won't have any hum?

regards,
Gabriel

P.S.: cp642, could you point me at a digikey part number?

Attachments

• block.jpg
    block.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 1,580
macka, I've simply used Visio 2002's basic shapes stencil.

I would appreciate a solid opinion since I won't consider a single transformer if it results in a noticeable hum (I like my amps very silent). As you say, if Mr. Pass could comment it would be great.

cp642, therefore TH1, TH2 & TH3 are simply the same...more than similar.

ciao folks,
Gabriel

Here's the answer form Mr. Pass:

"It depends on the kind of hum. Could be mechanical hum from the
transformer, could be ripple on the supply making it into the front end,
could be ground loop. There is nothing special about preventing hum
in an Aleph 4, and the same techniques that would be used to prevent hum
in other amplifiers would apply."

Therefore I conclude that I'll give a try to the single transformer topology.

regards,
Gabriel

Gabriel,
for something as involved as an hi power aleph my advice to you is PROTOTYPE. If you are making the boards keep all grounds separated (ie inputs, bypass caps, etc) then try various star ground arrangments. Don't commit to any layout until you have tested it extensively, that includes a test of the WHOLE system. Don't build any boxes until you have established what is the minimum distance between transformer and the baords and what is the best routing for the input coaxial lines.
I had instances where everything was working fine with the open lid, but I soon as I put the lid on the transformer stray flux would couple with the lid and introduce a noise in one channel, other cases where the amp alone was quiet but loops would come up when connected to the preamp.
Get a $10 pair of car stereo speakers and test the whole system for noises at power-up, down.
Sorry if I seem paranoid but this type of little problems can really be a pain to solve once all is cabled up in the final version and turn your great amp design into a useless piece of garbage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.