N.E.W. DCA-33 amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been listening to an amp (the DCA-33) from the defunct company Nirvana Electric Works. This amp runs off of lead acid batteries and it's really a wonderful little amp at 33 wpc. I've been told that it's a Nelson Pass DIY amp that was made into a commercial product (with permissoin) Does anyone know what diy design this was based on?
Thanks,
Steve Brooks
Decatur,GA

Hmmm....I should of known...damn internet...so much information and most of it bad! So he didn't even get permission to use the circuit? Nice.
I wonder why more manufacturers don't use DC for their amps and preamps..or at least give the option like Rowland. So far it's as easy to use as any other piece of gear (well easier than my tube amp) and it sounds so nice. If it is fact an A40 )or close enough to not get in trouble) then you dun good!
Thanks,
Steve

From One Steve to Another Steve:

I've owned an N.E.W DCA-33 power amplifier for a few years now, and it is a phenomenal little amp!!

Like you, I have also heard that it is a Nelson Pass design. If it was indeed based on the A40, then it comes from a good pedigree, but I suspect much of it's hi-end character is a result of the Pure D.C battery power supply designed by Nirvana Engineering Works. Think about it, a pure Class 'A' High Current, 33w/ch amp(doubles to 66w/ch into 4ohm & 132w/ch into 2ohm), powered by four 12v car-type batteries (with auto self-charging), pure d.c power isolated from the dirty mains wall socket...there's no other amp quite like it!

I've had a lot of amplifiers through my house including some some excellent valve monoblocs such as the Jadis JA-30, and the N.E.W DCA-33 more than keeps up with them!! Sure the valve amps are lovely sounding and can be more 'enjoyable' with the added valve harmonics, but sometimes the N.E.W shows them up to be a bit rosey and not quite as tonally accurate. This little amp confuses me quite a lot, just when I think it's time to trade it in on something more fancy and expensive, it's sonic attributes keep pulling me back! It has a very clean, beguiling, Single Ended Triode sound with a treble that is extended and valve-like ...more so than other transistor amp I've heard.

Some who have heard the amp complain about the lack of bass and a two dimensional quality, but this doesn't bother me. When you sit with this amp for a while and compare it to others - it is JUST ACCURATE, and all that is missing is the distorted bass bloom that everyone seems to have become used to and calls it good bass when in fact it's colored bass that pervades and spoils the mid-treble.

In fact the only transistor amp that I've heard that is better than the DCA-33 so far, is the Tripath based 100w/ch Belcanto EVo200.2, which is even more neutral and detailed .

Regards,

Steve M.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
As much as you might like the amp, I am unaware of
what, if any, similarity the DCA-33 has to the Pass A40,
and I have not seen the schematic.

When NEW was in existence I had some difficulty with
their claim of association with me. On one company info
listing at CES, they actually had the nerve to list me as an
employee.

Steve M

That is VERY CHEEKY of them Nelson, and I fully understand your agitation at such a scenario!!

Regards,

Steve M.

PS: I have also compared your Aleph 3 against the N.E.W and it (the Aleph) is better being sweeter in the treble, although the N.E.W does provide more current on more difficult speakers. Also, if I get a chance I will post a picture of the innards of the N.E.W, from which you may be able to tell if it is one of your designs?

Steve, I've not opened up the 33, but I just got hold of a dca-66 (completely different circuit) and the wiring from the boards to the speaker binding posts seems like it could be improved greatly. Most of the connections use tin push- ons and where they all meet, the tin ring terminals are joined together by a bolt and nut..I don't know much about solid state amps, but there must be another way!
Steve

Service Manual or Scheme

Hello there
This post is rather old. Maybe someone is still reading it ...

I have found two of these class A amplifiers @ ebay but they are without the battery units and am trying to bring live to them.
Is someone out there having a scheme and/or service manual so I can rebuild the battery buffers, adjust the bias current etc. before connecting them?

Some advice on converting them from 110 V to 240 V main voltage would also be nice. This may be the easier part I guess once I know the secondary voltage(s) and currents.

Ultimately, I would love to build an original burning amp like the BA-2, but that is too big a task for me right now.
Thanks in advance,
Markus

Sorry for OT, but some 35-40 years ago, when I started learning English language, that phrase was: "I should have known" - what happened in the meantime?
Nowadays it seems that almost everybody in USA are saying/writing it as: "I should of known", "I should of tried", "I should of been" .... :confused:
in this case this URL's are of interest:
Wanna know what it coulda be... « Pain in the English
Idioms for Idiots
In the attachement the pics of this amp.
In Issue 49 from UHF-Magazine about
http://www.uhfmag.com/Individualissue.html
there must be a schematic - I think.

Attachments

• N.E.W. DCA-33 amp front+rear.pdf
    35.7 KB · Views: 355
  • N.E.W. DCA-33 amp accu pack.pdf
    39.6 KB · Views: 212
  • N.E.W. DCA-33 amp accu pack-II.pdf
    48.8 KB · Views: 217
  • N.E.W. DCA-33 amp accu chamber.pdf
    59.9 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Sorry for OT, but some 35-40 years ago, when I started learning English language, that phrase was: "I should have known" - what happened in the meantime?
Nowadays it seems that almost everybody in USA are saying/writing it as: "I should of known", "I should of tried", "I should of been" .... :confused:

Check "there/their", "then/than", "grammar/grammer" and "aluminium/aluminum" (although this may be american spelling) etc.

Also annoying: native english speakers not understanding correctly written basic english sentences... It surprises me every time. It seems we get educated in a language native speakers don't fully comprehend ;)

An example of how little dutch kids are taught english:

http://wp.digischool.nl/engels/oefenen/grammatica/grammatica-over-woorden/there-their-of-theyre/

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.