ExtremA, class-A strikes back?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks Jacco, got the same thing from Mouser. I have worked through the parts issues and everthing fits. Whether it works or not is another question. I have even received a large batch of 4 terminal caps.

Question- is it ok to extend the leads of the Sanken output transistors a small amount by soldering a very short wire onto each terminal and then onto the board?

Reason1- these are going on used (large) heatsinks and its either extend the leads a tiny amount or mount the transistors on top of a small screw hole.

Reason2- the L/R channel boards are quite compact and they do not space the transistors out as much as I would like, so the transistors will be pretty far off center on the heatsinks reducing efficiency. I would need to extend the leads as much as 6 cm from each side of the board to get them centered on the heatsinks. I assume this is too much of an extension?

So 1 cm extension avoids mounting on top of a hole and 6 cm extension centers them on the heatsinks.

Last edited:

Answer : use extension boards (diy).

Reason 1 : You'll need something to mount/solder the base resistors on, they need to be acap to the base lead of the power devices.
Reason 2 : Why start with hardwiring if you have such pretty amp boards.

On the other hand, there's also the option to go for both stretch limo boards and hard (possibly even silverplated solid) wiring.

Attachments

• HARDwireprint.JPG
    HARDwireprint.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 776
almost there...

Almost there.

See I'm really not extending the leads that much.
Have to put the transistors in these spots
since the heatsink was previously drilled in a lot of places.

Anyone got some spare thermal pads to spare that can be cut to the big Sanken size?
(or know where to by a sheet?)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Hi Igreen, what's the dimemsion of your heatsink?

It seems like your almost done. Let us know the results. :)

Cheers,

Fred

Yep, after I obtain some thermal pads I can turn this thing on (thanks for the recent post on this). Oh wait, I've got to remove the broken tap from the other heatsink too.

FYI, heatsinks are approx 17.5" (44 cm) long by 8" tall (20cm) by 1.5" (3.8 cm) thick.

The heat dissipation requirements for my build are easier to meet; I will not be building this to 100WPC class A, as my tranformers are 16VAC and the emitter resistors are each 1.3 ohms.

Last edited:
Power ON

Power up...(images can be made very big with proper mouse-over and clicking)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I had some problems at first but eventually got it going.
The offset control works as it should and the heat sinks get nice and toasty.

I am getting a small amout of transformer hum, I think from the variac? Each channel has 2x60,000 uf + 4x22,000 uf capacitance.

Last edited:
Not yet...

Good job, Igreen!!! Your the first one to post a completed ExtremeA amplifier here in the forum. So, how's your listening impression compared to your previous amps that you built? Can you give us a feedback?

Fred

Thanks. hard to believe it but I think you are right in that no one here has attempted this beast. I reread this entire thread and saw lots of positive posts but no builds, other than the orignal poster SSassen who has disappeared and anyhow stopped answering questions months ago.
:confused:

I have not listened to it with a speaker yet. There is still much to do- check the other channel; install and wire up both power supplies with those unruly crimp connectors; install the final hardware with all the lockwashers and such; test the soft start and check all the DC voltages; clean the heatsinks; find a workaround for a tap that broke inside one heat sink; check grounding; complete back panel wiring; complete front panel LEDs and their wiring.

My intent is to report the results compared to a bunch of other diy amps in a separate "here it is" thread like people did in the old days when finishing a project. If everything still works it will be very soon. I will also post the parts list with prices and hyperlinks which I think is now pretty complete.

Wish me luck.

Last edited:
Hi lgreen,

Very good news to see you are close to finishing your project. I will try to start soon to continue mine as well, this because my LFA-50 amp seems like dying slowly.
Sound is fading while playing, never had this before. Will start looking for a couple of good heatsinks again.

I am trying to order my transformers from www.shuro.de, but i get no reply from them at all. :confused:There transformers look sweet, and i want shielded ones. Not only for the looks :D
Any of you guys lucky to order something from them. Really want to move on with my project. I emailed them in english and German, so that could not be the problem. I used in my former project transformers from amplimo.
But i don't think they have shielded and casted ones, or do they?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.