10 litre 2 way plans?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2018
Paid Member
Sorry for the vague title. Running this thread in parallel to 10 litres BR or ported FR in the other section

I have built a pair of small FR using IKEA Variera bamboo box. It has approx 3.5 to 4 litres volume and I tuned a port to 75hz if i remember correctly. Drivers are Faital Pro 3fe22 8ohm.

I copied a filter from Design of Zaph's W3-871S Fullrange Monitors with the values 0.7mh, 3.3uf, 6.8R. I dont know what this filter is doing objectively but it smooths the top end nicely. Is it filtering low frequency too?

Well this little speaker, one on a shelf and one on a small table near walls/corners sounds very nice to my ears. Surprising bass probably from room gain. Maybe the fact the enclosures have no parallel sides and are tilted back a few degrees has hit a sweet spot.

I wish to improve on them with more power handling and bass if possible. I power with tpa3255 so plenty watts available.

So I am curious as to a 2 way design in 10 litres maybe with 5" and tweeter. 10 litres is about the max physically I can fit in the room whilst appeasing the wife.

I like the clarity and top end zing of the 3fe22. If i can build a 2 way with more bass and control than my small bookshelves i would be happy. Dont wish to spend a fortune on drivers.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Thankyou TBTL.

I don't have the footprint dimensions just at hand ...I shall update later. The footprint constrains my size but dont wish to add too much height to compensate.

Maybe a budget of 150gbp for drivers....assuming a simple crossover with not too many costly components.

Potentially i would like to repurpose some old Sony SS70 speakers as they are a beautiful retro looking thing...shall add dimensions later but this isn't a deal breaker to use them.

Would be good to use drivers easily available to me in the UK. No Dayton Audio here but appreciate soundimports have them.
I'm not yet up to speed in recessing drivers but am willing to try!

Last edited:
Peerless/Tymphany 830991 looks to have a smooth response (I have no experience with it). Available in UK.

Peerless 830991 HDS 134 GFC MidWoofer Speaker

According to Parts Express, this should work well in a vented 10 liter (.35 ft^3) box, tuned to around 58 Hz. The spec sheet on FalconAcoustics can be used to verify box/vent sizing, with appropriate software program or calculator.

Resources - Woofer Selection Guide

Lots of tweeter choices to go with it. You might even find someone who has a completed project. Google can be a friend.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Wow those tweeters are a bit rich for me unfortunately. Nice plans though.

It has enlightened me to the Seas CA15RLY though and I've found a link to troels website with some designs around that woofer so thanks for that

My footprint limit is about 220mmx 180mm but can go a tadge more.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.