4th order bandpass to 35Hz ... sonic advantage?

1719425906531.png

THD plot for my Enigma 10" BP driven at the driver's RMS wattage rating. Yes, THD is reduced by the acoustic bandpass. However, the acoustic bandpass is less effective at the lower of the subwoofer's passband because the HD that's generated at these lower frequencies is still within the acoustic passband.

Reactions: 1 users
Modern DSP options do allow for some interesting scenarios though. Like possibly a dual 4th order BP, with one section designed for 50~100 Hz and another designed for 25~50 Hz, and the combination aligned using DSP, resulting 25 Hz to 100 Hz at pretty low THD, output primarily dependent on the thermal limits of the drivers. Hmm... :).

Reactions: 2 users
Modern DSP options do allow for some interesting scenarios though. Like possibly a dual 4th order BP, with one section designed for 50~100 Hz and another designed for 25~50 Hz, and the combination aligned using DSP, resulting 25 Hz to 100 Hz at pretty low THD, output primarily dependent on the thermal limits of the drivers. Hmm... :).
Yes….you would need a 2x4 DSP unit for 2 channel……that’s easily doable and cheap enough these days for those serious about bass. ICE amp boards are getting less expensive and more capable every day it seems. A quite serious and capable dual BP4 stereo arrangement could be DIYed for less than a grand these days.

I think size the great limiting factor these days for many folks….with the cost of the average square foot of living space skyrocketing, every inch counts. My wife actually liked my idea for an attic mounted Infinite Baffle system……too hot up there now to work though…..maybe in the fall.

Reactions: 1 users