Anyone have made those diy discretes op-amps ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have some Nelson Pass( if I remember correctly) designed op-amps I bought with an active XO (MOX) kit. I had some extras and used them to replace the 5532s in my NAD 1240, the discrete op-amps took that preamp to much higher level than any AD or BB product I tried beforehand.

I think I may have some extra boards/parts left over, I'll look for them if you're interested.

I have some Nelson Pass( if I remember correctly) designed op-amps I bought with an active XO (MOX) kit. I had some extras and used them to replace the 5532s in my NAD 1240, the discrete op-amps took that preamp to much higher level than any AD or BB product I tried beforehand.

I think I may have some extra boards/parts left over, I'll look for them if you're interested.

Hello

Nelson Pass do excellent circuits design, but finding fet transistors (like 2SK170 and 2SJ74) here arround was not possible, so I never try them.

Do you have the schematic of your discrete op-amps ?

Thank

Bye

Gaetan

Last edited:
Samuel is the guy mantaining an amazing document about current opamps performances (IC and discretes) http://www.sg-acoustics.ch/analogue_audio/ic_opamps/pdf/opamp_distortion.pdf

The latest versions of the document include a self evaluation of his discrete designs (if you ask me, very fair and objective). Do the reading, compare with the other options/designs and then make an educated decision.

Samuel is the guy mantaining an amazing document about current opamps performances (IC and discretes) http://www.sg-acoustics.ch/analogue_audio/ic_opamps/pdf/opamp_distortion.pdf

The latest versions of the document include a self evaluation of his discrete designs (if you ask me, very fair and objective). Do the reading, compare with the other options/designs and then make an educated decision.

Hello

I have read this very good document, interesting but measurements will not allway tell about sonics qualities.

Btw, the author, Samuel Groner, discuss about his documents and works in this thread;

OpAmp Measurement Series

Thank

Bye

Gaetan

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.