Bach's cantatas

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Which are your favourite Bach's cantatas?

Attachments

• 20240624_131544.jpg
    20240624_131544.jpg
    453.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 20240624_131608.jpg
    20240624_131608.jpg
    665.8 KB · Views: 61
#208 Hunting Cantata" contains a famous piece

question J.S. Bach's "Grosser Herr und starker König" music was used (also as a bass aria) in one of the Cantata's with different lyrics. I think I remember Eduard Wollitz singing perhaps on the Vox label. Anyhow - which cantata and what aria ? (I don't remember and have not had access to my vinyl records for over 4 years.

Also there's the great Ivan Kozlovsky singin J.S. Bach - 1955 (~age 55) - listen

Many of the most wonderfull cantates are having strong resemblances to parts of the even more fantastic and much longer St Matthew’s Passion.

That’s why this Passion music is my all time favourite.
I have 10 different versions and they all have their own character.
But Ton Koopmans is my preferrred conductor.

Hans

Bach was very much into reuse. The first part of
Tönet, ihr Pauken! Erschallet, Trompeten! (BWV 214) was also used for the Weihnachtoratorium, for example.

He also reused music of other composers: BWV 1083 is an arrangement of Pergolesi's Stabat mater with different lyrics. Nowadays he would get sued for plagiarism for that, but it was no problem in the 18th century.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
At least he wouldn't suffer what John Fogerty did - being sued by his former record company for plagiarising himself!

Although I love Bach's instrumental music, I've never really gone for his cantatas and choral works, but if someone could recommend a good place to start that would be most useful.

Thank you

Geoff