Best Online Reads on Room Acoustics for Dummies?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi,
What kind of information are you looking for?
Acoustic is a vast field, if you could narrow your point of interest it could help to answer.

I think this is a good starting point for a listening room ( no to few math involved, trustable source of info which give common base knowledge to dig deeper if needed):

https://arqen.com/acoustics-101/room-setup-speaker-placement/

Last edited:
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi,
What kind of information are you looking for?
Acoustic is a vast field, if you could narrow your point of interest it could help to answer.

I guess in sequential order” :

Room reflections, which Troy said can be both good and bad.

“First” reflections: How and why does it typically happen and is it good or bad?

Room modes (standing waves), with are always bad.

“Boundary” effects; what is it; causes, how good and/or bad

Diffraction, presumably always bad.

Reverb-same as echo? How is it good or bad.

Consequences of a ~ 20 ft x 11 ft living room where the short wall proceeds west into a ~ 9 ft x 10 kitchen, south
into a ~ 15 ft long x 4 ft hallway and north into a 10 ft long x ~ 4 ft stair well-and with triangular ceiling over everything that peaks at 11 ft. Living room, hallway and stairwell have moderate thickness carpeting.

As all music sources on via pc, how to use room correction software (DIRAC Live?) to first acoustically and then electronically correct or improve room.

Proper room treatment materials following computer analysis of room acoustics issues.

DAC would likely be https://www.merging.com/products/interfaces/hapi

Recommendations for USB mic with ADC.

"Blending” my three Rythmik F12 subs with the main speakers.

Did I leave anything out?

Thanks, I will check out that link.

Reactions: 1 user
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
“First” reflections: How and why does it typically happen and is it good or bad?
Normally bad for regular speakers. The typical reason waveguides are used.

Room modes (standing waves), with are always bad.
Not bad. They just exist. They can be fixed for bass frequencies. This needs to be done, then you are good.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Ok,
First reflections ( also known as Early Reflections), look for RFZ ( Refection Free Zone) on arqen site,
Room mode, https://www.gedlee.com/Papers/papers.aspx ( why multiple subs paper, small room acoustic)
Boundary effect, SBIR ( Arqen 'acoustic 101')
Reverb/echo, well those are linked... see Arqen site too.
Diffraction is most problematic for loudspeakers. In room, better use diffusion/ diffusor. Here again see what Arqen have to sell/offer.

Good/bad... much too simple presented that way! Acoustic is much more about nuances of grey... ;)

First i think understanding SBIR, ER, Room Modes and what reverberation is would help. For more details/finesse it could come later ( things like Schroeder frequency, critical distance, level of ER with reference to direct sound,...).
Try google with this words it should give you more answers too. ;)

Last edited:
Troy Crowe, whose building my speakers, recommended this book https://shop.shakeandco.com/book/9781138921368

But none of my local public libraries have it and I don't know how math intensive it is to even think about buying it,

Can anyone recommend another book and/or ONLINE sources, BUT essentially for dummies-or at least math challenged dummies?
If you're not willing to spring for the cost of a good reference book on the subject (and Toole's book is a good resource that I recommend to all that are serious about getting better sound quality in-room), my guess is that you're probably also not willing to spend much of anything to improve your listening room acoustics.

If that's a correct assumption, then the kind of guide you're looking for is what is called a "setup guide". Here is one such guide that might help you, and that has virtually no mathematics, acoustic measurements, or required acoustic treatments. It's an old brochure written by the former sales/support rep for Avantgarde USA--and freely disseminated. While it has many errors, explanations, and assumptions that aren't really correct, it nevertheless might help you:

https://pdfcoffee.com/31-secrets-pdf-free.html

There is very little about acoustics that doesn't at some point require mathematics and physics, as well as acoustic measurements in-room. It's a subject that is not really amenable to a "dummies guide" in my experience.

Most simplified guides that I've found (like the one linked above) have many problems. But, as they say, "better is better", so something is better than nothing at all. Simplified explanations are usually quite wrong and not very useful. If you're merely trying to make better use of what you've already got, that guide has a short process that you can use to position your loudspeakers, listening position(s), and furniture in-room.

Chris

Joined 2012
Paid Member
First i think understanding SBIR, ER, Room Modes and what reverberation is would help. For more details/finesse it could come later ( things like Schroeder frequency, critical distance, level of ER with reference to direct sound,...).
Try google with this words it should give you more answers too. ;)
And what specific literature which might provide among the easiest to understand explanations for those concepts and/or phenomena?

Joined 2012
Paid Member
There is very little about acoustics that doesn't at some point require mathematics and physics, as well as acoustic measurements in-room. It's a subject that is not really amenable to a "dummies guide" in my experience.
FWIW, back in the early 90s, I took a 1400 hour course in electronics-AC & DC circuits, filters and resonant circuits, power supplies, amplifiers, oscillators, radio and TV circuits, antennas. I got all of the algebra and trig needed to maintain top grades on all exams. Among others, this book was the most math intensive we used. https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/intro...on_allen-mottershead/1331211/#edition=4148232

Then on to digital systems, beginning with boolean algebra, FF, counters, registers, timers and clocking circuits, totem pole output stages ROM and EEPROMs, and basic computer design et al. We used this book https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Systems-Applications-Ronald-Tocci/dp/0137005105 I still have the book in which back then I found at least two math errors and 10 circuit errors. But that was long ago and I'm likely somewhat rusty.

I can say that there was nothing in those two books which I did not completely understand, including the math, though it never went beyond algebra and trig. Of course, my grades were excellent. So, if the math needed to understand these acoustical concepts and phenomena doesn't extend this then I may have a good shot at learning enough to be of practical benefit.

Joined 2012
Paid Member
It's interesting that you used the electron flow version and you live in the US (or perhaps it's only coincidence that's just the example you stumbled across).
When he told us to buy that Mottershead book, I remember our instructor briefly mentioning that it was the electron flow version, even though most of us (me included) didn't yet know electron flow from hole flow from cash flow. Later, after we got through the book's bare essentials of atomic theory, and not too long before the intro to semiconductors, he very briefly revisited the issue. He mentioned that design engineers use hole flow rather than electronic flow because it is "easier". He never explained why or discussed it any further. And to this day I still don't know why circuit design and analysis would be any easier with reference to hole current flow. Do you?

Joined 2012
Paid Member

Attachments

• Studying with my cat.jpg
    Studying with my cat.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 9