• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Capacitor Recommendations

I'm working on a parts order for a phono-stage. The designer has recommended all sorts of expensive caps and resistors. What I'm looking for is advice on the type (and possibly brand) for different areas of the circuit.
1) RIAA caps.
2) Coupling caps between stages and final cap. D3A => 5687 => output.
3) PS caps

Same questions related to resistors.
TIA
Dave

For PS caps try to use film not electrolytic. Lower noise and more stable. I like Clarity caps for a not stupidly expensive coupling cap. Some people go with orange drop caps as a cheap alternative but make sure you get the copper lead type of theirs, either 715 or 716 I forget which. For RIAA caps look for polystyrene or other higher quality cap. Keep tolerances tight especially in the RIAA. As said, use 1% metal film resistors in the RIAA. PRP is a less expensive but good type. Caddock are really good but very pricy if you can get the values you need. Let us know what you do and the result.

I've used "expensive" parts and parts that had good enough spec according to the datasheets for RIAA.

For power supply caps, I use Rubycon, Samxon, Samyoung or Ymin.
For RIAA, I usually go with Kyet, Carli, Tenta, or Xiamin Faratronic. I have found no need to go with even Illinois or CDE for these part, and the entire filter costs $1 to build. Hand matching 5% parts costs far less money than buying 1% parts, too.
For resistors, I use 1% MF. Brand is not important as specs like PPM and voltage ratings IMHO.

I'm working on a parts order for a phono-stage. The designer has recommended all sorts of expensive caps and resistors. What I'm looking for is advice on the type (and possibly brand) for different areas of the circuit.
1) RIAA caps.
2) Coupling caps between stages and final cap. D3A => 5687 => output.
3) PS caps

Same questions related to resistors.
TIA
Dave
The mark of a poor designer.

Equations include many variables, but NONE does Brand or Price, that should tell you something.

Circuit Simulators neither .... maybe they are all wrong?

Reactions: 3 users
The best sounding inexpensive and small coupling/feedback caps I have used are WIMA FKP series film and foil caps. I recently upgraded a MoFi Ultraphono preamp by replacing the polyester caps with WIMA FKP3 caps which I had to stack to get the right value. After break-in, it sounded as musically pleasing as my Tubes 4 Hifi PH16 phono preamp with Odam's, V-Cap CuTF's, and Jupiter copper foil's in the 3 RIAA/coupling positions.
The V-Cap Odam film caps are my favorite not-too-crazy-expensive caps. These are also smaller than other boutique caps.
MOFI Original.jpg MOFI WIMA Upgrade.jpg PH16 RIAA Board.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
For PS caps try to use film not electrolytic. Lower noise and more stable. I like Clarity caps for a not stupidly expensive coupling cap. Some people go with orange drop caps as a cheap alternative but make sure you get the copper lead type of theirs, either 715 or 716 I forget which. For RIAA caps look for polystyrene or other higher quality cap. Keep tolerances tight especially in the RIAA. As said, use 1% metal film resistors in the RIAA. PRP is a less expensive but good type. Caddock are really good but very pricy if you can get the values you need. Let us know what you do and the result.
716 is the copper leaded film and foil.

You're worried about steel leads but not the aluminum foil inside?
Personally, I cannot afford copper, silver or gold foils; I am agnostic as to whether they provide audibly or measurably better performance. Tin foil is within reach. If one can afford more esoteric foils, I have no word against doing so.

It is, however, relatively easy to source small capacitors with copper leads, as opposed to steel, and they do not have a great price premium. Accordingly, why not go through the extra effort and slight cost increase to get copper leads?

Joined 2004
Paid Member
If you have enough -large- buildable area the old soviet silver mica (SSG series) anf FT teflon capacitors also a feasibility.
Sample: RIIA parts of C3g phono (SSG-1 silver mica, FT-2, FT-3 teflon capacitors, RC55Y resistors). The PSU capacitors are Philips (now Vishay) BC series.
RIAA inside.jpg

Sadly nowadays the silver mica capacitor price is horrible.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_odkw=silver+mica&_osacat=0

FWIW, The "5%" caps I bought were all measured within 1%.
Most components have small tolerances if made in the same batch. If you can buy components from the same batch, i.e., banded resistors or capacitors, they usually have a tolerance of much less than the marked value, even though they could be say 1% within each other but still 4% off from the nominal value. So if you need two capacitors with same value make sure they are from the same batch.