Capacitors will revival?

May be revival is not a technical word. I don't know! For capacitors (pf or nf), Polypropylene Film (metalized or not) / C0G (NP0) type, or simple seramic/mica are there any revival time. After, using them some after time, perhaps days sound is changing. It's not very simple change. Amplificator is revivaling :)
Have you got any idea. Capacitors datasheet doesn't say any revivaling time. thanks,

rejuvenating is the term. It's only for electrolytic capacitors which after years of off-time will draw current for some time while the aluminum oxide re-grows.
film capacitors don't go leaky, any excess leakage you find in those is a mechanical fault. Mica molded caps tend to actually be paper caps in disguise.
And for paper caps, you can't get rid of their leakage just by keeping them powered. You need to put them in a vacuum chamber or boil them in wax for a few hours to drive off the moisture in those.

Reactions: 1 users
Capacitors datasheet doesn't say any revivaling time.
Datasheets don't mention revivaling because it is not a thing.
After, using them some after time, perhaps days sound is changing.
Sorry but not such a thing.

In any case, your own senses and perception will change way more along time than any supposed parameter change.

Reactions: 1 user
Good.
Then think that you (like any other biological entity) will change way more than any hard physical parameter.

One practical example and which is related in that aspect: I am a Diabetic and stopped using sugar in coffee years ago. Normal was 2 teaspoonfuls or 2 sugar cubes per small Espresso cup.
Last week run out of "no sugar" sweetener so in a pinch used one teaspoonful of real sugar instead.
I-could-not-stand-it 😲
Unbearably sweet, disgusting.

Has modern sugar changed?
Nope.
Coffee?
No, same thing.
Has my perception changed?
You bet!
Applies to Audio too! 😄

Reactions: 2 users
Even more in the Audio realm.

"Ears have no memory" or at least it's very poor, so mentally comparing something I heard Today with something from a few days ago is unreliable unless difference is gross.
For subtle details , forget it.

I design and make guitar speakers.
When developing something new, I mount two speakers side by side, in the same cabinet, the original/reference one and the modded one, built a footswitch controlled relay switcher and listen at one or the other instantly.
Only way to catch subtle changes, such as different adhesives, dustcap, cone weight, doping, etc.
Otherwise it's impossible or unreliable.
Besides looped guitar playing, to keep that consistent, also listen at pink noise, switching speakers.
VERY revealing because it is absolutely neutral.
Suggest you test something like that with your capacitors.
You will be surprised.

Reactions: 1 users
There is shelf life of film capacitors. on tape or bulk 2 years and soldered 10 years. Why it's different? Do you think modern , new film capacitors effected by humidity. Whatever, if some capacitor reach the end of shelf life (2 years). can we think if we soldered it, it will change the frequency response of capacitor (/Dissipation Factor) in time?
https://www.vishay.com/docs/26033/gentechinfofilm.pdf

Shelf life is about oxidation of the leads making the devices unreliable to the soldering process in automatic assembly, that's all. Good film dielectrics have very low moisture absorption (otherwise they'd be low stability as water molecules strongly affect dielectric constant). I'd expect PP to last centuries (as its not biodegradable and impervious to most chemicals).

Reactions: 1 user