changing from 8ohm (nominal) to 16ohm woofer [Altec 416] [LTspice]

Hi folks!

I am fooling around with Altec speakers, and trying to run the 808 8a + 511b horns with 416a / b style woofers. At the present time I do not have any questions regarding the HPF and horn correction circuit; I am hoping for some basic design input in the spirit of "look this direction".

At the encouragement of an engineer friend, I am learning to use LTspice. The following screenshot shows the Z19 / Altec Model 19 LPF. Top models use TS parameters associated with the 416Z (0.567 mH VC inductance / 11.6ohm series resistance) -- bottom models use the 416B (2.5mH / 6.5ohm series resistance).

In both screenshots, the bottom model represents the LPF circuit with the intended 8 ohm woofer. My intent is to create a model for a 16 ohm woofer which corresponds to the frequency filter response with the 8 ohm woofer.

First model, with matching crossover values:
same XO value, diff TS.jpg same XO value, diff TS.jpg
same XO value, diff TS.jpg

With matching XO values, I get:
Top: 416 Z (16 ohm nominal): -6db @ 1.130 kHz
Bottom: 416 B (8 ohm nominal): -6db @ 1.330 kHz

With capacitor value doubled and inductor halved for the 16 ohm nominal speaker, I get this:
diff XO values, diff TS.jpg

Top: 416 Z (16 ohm nominal): -6db @ 1.180 kHz
Bottom: 416 B (8 ohm nominal): -6db @ 1.330 kHz (unchanged)

I realize that I am a newbie and generally speaker crossovers are regarded as EXTREMELY complex, so I am not looking for a silver bullet. Does anyone have some math or anecdotal suggestions? What could I try next?

EDIT to add: I realize I am only using two parameters to define an inductor and there must be significantly more sophisticated ways to do this, and I'm learning as I go!

Last edited:
If you have a DATs system, then run it on both of your 416Z woofers and derive their ( raw > out-of-box ) TS parameters.

Before you go too far down this rabbit hole, you need to know that your woofers are up to ( or close to ) their original spec. > it's the top octaves that suffer if they are out and partially demagged .

In particular one is looking for a very low Qes figure ( which along with the Qts product and the Fs ) will really help determine the health of the magnetic drive system of those woofers.

Once obtained, one can compare your EBP numbers to the ( known ) numbers of the 416b model. The 416z(a) should be a smidge higher ( historically ).

If you don't have DATs, then I recommend that you buy it ( from P.E. ) or borrow someones.

:)

PS: You'd be much further ahead ( when it comes to speakers ) if you learn BoxSim or Xsim or VituixCad2 ( rather than a LTSpice )