Compatible headshell for SME 3009

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I would look to the Technics headshells, one of my favourites (i haveowned at least a dozen 3009/3012, not my favorite arm and way overpriced on the used market).

attachment.php

https://www.hhv.de/shop/en/item/ana...MIxOG14sra7AIV4Ql9Ch0UxAw6EAQYBSABEgK8W_D_BwE

I prefer the black ones.

And this. found while searching out the technics picture, (much pricier) Ortophone looks good too)

SH4.jpg

Ortofon SH-4 Headshell - Black [SH-4 Black] : AVShop.ca - Canada's Pro Audio, Video and DJ Store

dave

Attachments

• TechnicsHeadSheel.jpg
    TechnicsHeadSheel.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 576
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I second the Technihard and there are some wood headshells from Ortofon, and Yamamoto (HS-2) that are quite good as well.

There are also the Jelco HS-25 and HS30 which are also very good and were reasonably priced. (May be getting hard to find)

I had several of the light weight swiss cheese head shells which seemed to be quite mediocre with moving coil cartridges like the Denon DL-103, but worked OK with lighter higher compliance MM types.

I shouldn't say it, but as the former owner of both 3012 and 3009 arms (4) in the past there are much better arms out there, and the SME-3009 commands a good enough price with collectors now that it might finance a better arm.

I'm currently running a 12 inch Jelco TK-850L on one of my two TD-124s, and would recommend a TK-850S (9") or 850M (10") if you can still find one. This is running Jelco HS-30 with a Mutech Hayabusa.

Running a prototype Sorane ZA-12 on the other 124 with a strain gauge cartridge.

There are quite a few other arms from Ortofon, Schick, Audio Technica, etc.