• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Damm not the response I expected!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I emailed Electra Print to get a quote and asked about the Albert Pagan design and got this. I will probable still order but geez.

Walter,

We get this type emails about this" Albert pagan design" almost weekly.
This guy once bought two outputs about 10 years ago and then this site was
made a little later and we still get these damn emails. We have no idea why
people like this design!!

One circuit shown for the 300B uses an incorrect output trans with our name
on it, and we have not made those for over 10 years.
Someone should remove or change this site so I do not have to continuously
tell everyone that there are much better and simpler circuits out there.

We build, as of 10 years ago, a better design shown on our site
Electra-Print.com Single-Ended Output Transformers

If I were you I would not build any tube amp with solid state components
within the amplifier circuit, reason is, the IMD rise is very high when this
is done and no one knows about this until they play the amp and it sounds
like crap. And our transformer is on it!!!

Let us know,

Jack

-----Original Message-----
From: wroman214@comcast.net [mailto:wroman214@comcast.net]
Sent: Wednesday, April 01, 2015 4:45 PM
To: electaudio@cox.net
Subject: Contact/Order form submitted

I am building a Tubelab SE solely for 45 tubes. I need a price and approx
lead time for an appropriate output transformer. 5K input and 8ohm out. What
is the Albert Pagan design? Tubelab mentions that design to ask for.
I will be using a CLC filter in the B+ power supply and was considering a
huge choke from Hammond on the sole recommendation of low resistance. Is
there any disadvantage to low/high resistance power supply chokes.
Thanks

I haven't talked to Jack in over 10 years, but it was him personally who told me to refer to the transformers that are still in my TSE as the "Albert Pagan design."

Albert and I worked together at Motorola and were both building tube amps. Albert had already built a 45 amp from a schematic he found on the web and wanted to upgrade the OPT's. He contacted Jack and after talking for over an hour, ordered some OPT's that were slightly different from the standard Electra Print 45 transformer that was offered at the time. I can't remember the details, but I believe that the changes were made to reduce the cost slightly, or possibly allow fitment into an existing amp.

When Albert got his transformers, I borrowed them overnight and tried them in my TSE breadboard in place of the Edcors that I had been using to develop the TSE design. The results were so obvious, that I called Jack the next day and asked for a set of transformers "exactly like Albert's". I also asked Jack how a builder of one of my amps could get a pair, since there were other people at Motorola who wanted to make a TSE. Tubelab, and the web site were still just an idea at the time. This was, as stated over 10 years ago.

At the time, Jack had a few standard OPT designs listed on his web site, and he would make modifications to those designs at the customers request. He has strong opinions about tubes, transformers, and a lot of other stuff, and he will share them with you if you call him. When I told him about the TSE design, he made it clear that silicon didn't belong in a tube amp, and he is entitled to his opinion, although there was a period of time where he sold transformers that used chip amps to drive tubes, and the schematics were on his web site. That is gone now, as are all the standard transformer designs.

He now seems to prefer that you call him and state your specs and he will custom build your transformer.

For 45s order 5K, 50mA, 8R of his normal design

That is what Albert asked for about 12 years ago.

If I were you I would not build any tube amp with solid state components within the amplifier circuit, reason is, the IMD rise is very high when this is done and no one knows about this until they play the amp and it sounds like crap

The TSE was designed specifically to reduce IMD. Silicon, when used properly can be used to solve problems that are difficult with tubes because the silicon devices have far higher Gm than any tube made. Silicon does have some issues, and a good engineer knows how to work around them.

One circuit shown for the 300B uses an incorrect output trans with our name on it, and we have not made those for over 10 years

The only amp that I have ever made with EP transformers was designed for 45 tubes, although I have run 300B's in it at a reduced supply voltage and power output. Of course, if you build a TSE for 300B tubes, you should use OPT's specified for 300B's. That little 2 WPC amp is still the best sounding amp that I have made (within its power capabilities), and about 200 TSE builders over the last 10 years tend to agree.

Someone should remove or change this site so I do not have to continuously tell everyone that there are much better and simpler circuits out there

I do not have access to my web site at this time, but at my earliest opportunity I will remove all mention of EP transformers from the site, since this is obviously what Jack wants. I still believe that he makes some excellent OPT's though.

Albert and I have since been "retired" (laid off) by Motorola. He no longer builds amps, and I have packed up all of Tubelab, stuffed it into storage, moved 1200 miles, and had a new house built. We are now in the process of moving into the new house, and I will then begin building a new lab and workshop. Then we can all expect to see new things from Tubelab, including a new web site.

George,
Thanks for the detailed response but although informative was not necessary on my behalf. I knew exactly what I wanted when I decided to build the TSE. I know how much guts it take to think outside the box any so many people take this hobby as a religion.
I knew about Jacks amp with the op amp driver. When he still had a phone number listed we talked about that amp and he was really excited about it at the time. I will order from him and his products have a great reputation.
Walt

I see this is an old thread. I just ordered 5k, 65ma, 8ohm to upgrade my TSE from Transcendar while I also replace a 300B that broke in transit. If anyone's interested, Jack is still miffed about the "Albert Pagan Design..." He did, however, become much easier to interact with over a couple of exchanges and I'm looking forward to receiving my iron.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.