Dayton-Wright ESL

I just acquired a pair of DW ES speakers w/o any ID on them as to model. I am a total rookie when it comes to the ES world. They have 10 panels and 2 tweeters. The bias supply is an ST-300A. I’m reasonably sure there is no gas left in the bag. The person I got these from tried to power them up. One side crackled and the other was dead. The story I got was they were in a damp basement for decades. I took the grills off due to mold and wiped down cabinets. It looks like one speaker has a corroded connector in need of replacement. Any info on these dudes would be helpful. Did some on-line info gathering but haven’t found any links to manual or model #
Dan

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Thanks, Dave.

About 10 yrs ago, sold my XG10 (with Klipschorn bass... very good match to DW) to a group from the Montreal club, I have returned to my open-air system with XG8 panels (6 per side) that sound better than the XG10s. Built these around 1977. Bias from an EMCO module.

Recently, wanted to downsize and sell these panels and the two extra DW transformers (37 lbs each). But I couldn't do it.... the sound is simply too amazing (but the two extra transformers are still for sale and other DW bits).

The gas enables the XG10 to put out nice bass down to about 50 Hz but inhibits the treble. The panels were on the surface of a sphere which, Mike said, was like creating a virtual point source.

The XG10 piezo tweeters actually test quite well for FR and distortion, but look cheap. I help my top end (north of 4kHz) with fancy film tweeters which are better.

Attached is the full-range FR for the panels, no EQ, no tweeter, rather small room. Distortion is so low hard to measure without having the silence of an anechoic chamber. The aluminum box in the lower left corner holds the transformers etc.

Ben

Attachments

• Speaker no cloth.jpeg
    Speaker no cloth.jpeg
    169.7 KB · Views: 28
  • L and R panels FR full range with no EQ.jpg
    L and R panels FR full range with no EQ.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: 1 user