DBX 234XS problem

I've got a DBX 234XS crossover which I use in my home stereo using XLR to RCA cables I made and XLR to 1/4" balanced to connect to the USB audio interface.

Anyways when I turn off power to the power strip everything is plugged into, there is a nice pop in my speakers.

Is it normal for the 234XS to cause that sort of pop and if so can it be fixed, or does it have a problem?

Also, if it is normal and no fix can be done, what is a decent 2 way 24 dB/octave active crossover that does not produce any pop in the speakers?

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Pull the plug of the outlet strip instead of switching it off.
If the noise does not happen, the noise source is the outlet strip power switch.

If the DBX does produce the noise, add a muting circuit to the audio output of each noisy channel.
This is just a series resistor followed by normally closed relay contacts shunt to ground.
The relay coils should be directly powered by the AC line.

The amplifier in any system should always be the first thing turned off and the last turned on, most amplifiers have a speaker protection relay that disconnects the speakers as soon as AC power is lost or in the event of an amplifier fault, but some don't so this power up/down sequence becomes even more important.

It's the crossover. Unplugging the power cord produced the same result.

Unfortunately the Adcom GFA 545II does not have a speaker protection relay.

I would have thought either the circuit would have been made to not pop or have relays built in to disconnect the outputs upon turnoff given it was made by a good manufacturer.

Unless I find a crossover that will not have a pop on turn off, I will build a box with four DPDT relays and a supply that will allow them to turn off quick.