diode replacement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi,

need to replace a failed diode, am hoping it it just for reverse polarity protection and not regulation,
cant find a schematic for the chorus only one for one for another pedal in the same series.

the part is D7 and appears in the same position/orientation on the chorus pcb as in the schem picture.

the only difference is the faulty/shorted diode removed from pcb was a bzx85C and think it has 11 marked on it.
so guess it could be bzx85C11 .

i have a lot of different types of diodes though not this exact one.

could someone please recommend a substitute please?

Attachments

• 2019-05-08.png
    2019-05-08.png
    73.2 KB · Views: 111
  • Screenshot_2019-05-08 bzx85 pdf(1).png
    Screenshot_2019-05-08 bzx85 pdf(1).png
    65.4 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
pretty sure i traced it the same as D7 cathode to positive 9v supply.

thought it might be just a normal zener, so had a look and found 10v and a 12v so put the 10v zener 1 watt and seems it to be ok.
maybe someone cooked it before and put a zener in there. there is an inductor between + and - at beginning of supply, no reg ic.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
A zener is absolutely the wrong choice of part to use for reverse polarity protection because of its limited current ability. They are way to fragile to use in the position marked.

They are also to fragile for use as over volt protection.

I would just swap it for a regular 1N4002/3/4 type as marked on the diagram.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.