Does anyone here has any info about this old IC?

Hi everybody.

In these days I'm checking a vintage piece of gear for a friend, an equalizer module that used to be part of a mixing console installed in the iconic Crystal Sound Studio. This facility opened in 1967 in Hollywood, CA, and housed a number of historical recordings such as many hits by Stevie Wonder, Weather Report and many other artists.

IMG_20240630_193223.jpg

Andrew Berliner, the studio's sound engineer, built most of the equipment of the studio with a highest-quality, no-expenses-spared attitude. Then, in the late '80s the studio was bought by Roy Bittan, long-time keyboardist for Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band, who recently decided to auction most of the studio equipment.

This eq module I have here includes many high quality components such as many military-grade precision resistors, 10 Grayhill rotary switches (still working flawlessly after almost 50 years!), a proprietary API-style discrete op-amp and finally a fair number of ICs labelled 'NE535V', possibly made by Signetics.
I've never heard before about this chip: judging by the connections on the pcb, it's a classic single op-amp in a DIP8 case. I suspect it might be somehow considered as an early version of the classic NE5534, but actually I couldn't find any valid info on the net.

IMG_20240630_193106.jpg

So here's my request: does anybody know something more about this mysterious vintage chip?

Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
Looks like it's really close to NE 5532 dual op amp. NE535 is the single op amp.
5534 is the single version. If they are working replace the Electrolytic caps.
No, not close at all, much simpler circuit, much lower GBP, much less drive strength, significantly noisier, no protection diodes across the inputs to prevent reverse breakdown of the input devices (these are essential for low noise BJT input opamps). It also may have phase inversion, the datasheet doesn't say its immune...

BTW that first datasource (the catalogue) seems very confused about prefixes, using capital-M both for milliamps/milliwatts and also for megaohms input impedance on the same line!!
It correctly uses pA for picoamps, but wrongly NA for nanoamps... Also intrigued why WF is used for watts? watts in free-air perhaps?

Earlier "standards" for prefixes were different "back then." I don't know exactly when modern prefix standards were set or widely adopted, but I recall seeing old capacitors with values in "MMF" short for micromicrofarads or modern-day picofarads. I recall this in schematics from the 1960s, maybe the early 1970s. I don't recall seeing WF.