DUAL MONO TPA3221 Pictures Inside

Hi amigos,

Here a short review about the brand new TPA3221 :

Setup :

DAC : Gustard X16
Amp 1 : Hypex NC252MP
Amp 3 : Dual TPA3221 / OPA1652 (stock PSU 15V / 7a + FX Audio 24V / 4A PSU)
Amp 4 : HanZao TPA3255 / OPA1692 + Shui Yuan OPA1656
Playlist : HD audio via LDAC BT

Indroduction :
This dual TPA3221 is really small about 134x59x90mm, compared to the Aiyima A04 for example : 150X92x40mm.
The case is a full alu black enclosure, it's still pretty basic but rather robust. The connectors are pretty good and seem solid.

Under the Case, we therefore discover two distinct TPA3221 boards with a really surprising PCB. I would say the components seem to be of good quality
We see some Samsung FC power caps 35V@ 1800uf / Evox Film caps / Elna Audio caps / OPA1656.

The spec of the TPA3221 are available here otherwise:
TPA3221 data sheet, product information and support | TI.com

I did not measure the amp but in Living room (30m²) with my 2.5 floor speakers, the power is more than enough to drive my speakers under 8 ohms with a more than comfortable volume even with the stock PSU.

I made a 1h30 listening test VS my other amps and here are my observations with my favorite Playlist :

Bass :
Complex song : Downtown (Yellowjackets & WDR) : The bass is very well maintained, it is precise and it does not drool. Blindfolded, it is very difficult to perceive a difference in the human ear vs my Hypex NC252. Although I'm convinced the Hypex is better on paper. With the 24V PSU we gain slightly in power but it's also really good with the stock PSU. I hope that future reviews will confirm my opinion but the bass is tight and very present despite its small size)

Medium :
Audiophila Master CD18 : Voices stand out very well from the mix, they are well put forward. I found a very silky side in the mids, the amp is closer to the TPA3255 Hanzao / OPA1692 than to the Shui Huan OPA1656. I find my Hypex NC252 better in this register, however. Either way, I didn't find listening tiring.I let myself be carried away by the softness of the amp without any problem.

Trebles :
Being a drummer, I am particularly sensitive to this point. I used to collect cymbals and have a ticklish ear lol ) With the Drum Collections HD files : I found it to be very good, the rides are subtle, the crashes stand out without aggressiveness (I use a ribbon tweeter). Compared to my Hypex NC252, frankly it's quite impressive! We tickle his performance level. Overall very good behavior in the treble.

Soundstage :
Impressive! I have always found that dual mono configurations were more interesting on this point.
Audiophila Master CD 17 : Everything is well detached, the instruments are well distributed.
We find the signature of the TPA chips, it's as good as my TPA3255. I have always liked the TPA325X regarding the Soundstage and I am not disappointed here.

Negative points :
- The volume is reversed, we increase by going to the left) (can be corrected easily anyway)
- I would have preferred a Power Switch on the front for accessibility reasons
- With the 24V PSU, a tiny Pop sound when Switching ON only. Nothing to complain with the 15V.
- A strange behavior that I also observed: the start sequence is important here: I have to turn on my DAC before the amp otherwise I have a marked pop.
- No DIP8 op amps socket but OPA1652 seem really good !

Conclusion :
I paid the amp 56 euros ! It is a little bomb for this price : it is a small / compact and sounds very good. He does not blush in front of my Hypex and he will convince most ears. It lacks a bit of power it's true! But for a listening at moderate volume it is enough believe me! It is not at the level of my Purifi that is about 20X more expensive)))
At this price you will not take any risks! I think this little dual Mono TPA3221 is a great choice for less fortunate wallets.

VIDEO :

VID_20210329_205042
VID_20210329_205219

Reactions: 1 user
I ordered this amp on ur recommendation. It arrived a couple of days ago. Hooked it up and it played OK for 3 minutes then the right channel cut out. Shut it down and inspected hookup then tried again with same results. A third time it played 20 or so minutes b4 right channel quit. The sound was clean with a black background but it hurt my ears. I also have an Aiyima A04 with OPA1656 opamps, and the sound is way smoother, more listenable and a joy to my ears. I'm now in the process of trying to return the dual mono for a refund, and that's no easy fete. BTW I noticed it's no longer available at one of the sellers that offered it last week.

Yes it's probably an unlucky dud. The seller checked with the factory and recommended I open it up and replace "the bad wire" or return for a refund. AliExp has "escalated" the matter when I asked for a refund, but there's really no way to communicate with them. I will likely check w/ paypal as well as they may cover return shipping.

the A04 is an entirely different experience since I replaced the opamps w/ 1656's. It's a real winner tonal wise and the staging is holographic. Thanks for that suggestion.

Yes it's probably an unlucky dud. The seller checked with the factory and recommended I open it up and replace "the bad wire" or return for a refund. AliExp has "escalated" the matter when I asked for a refund, but there's really no way to communicate with them. I will likely check w/ paypal as well as they may cover return shipping.

the A04 is an entirely different experience since I replaced the opamps w/ 1656's. It's a real winner tonal wise and the staging is holographic. Thanks for that suggestion.

I love how some of the Chinese Sellers expect you to look for the “Bad Wire” when their devices / products don’t work. I had exactly the same extended exchange of messages with a seller who had provided me with a Power Supply that had no output ! The case was glued together so really there was no opportunity to search for the “Bad Wire” or in my case “Bad Switch” ! The power supply didn’t even have a switch !!

Unfortunately I was past the 15 days period when AliExpress will get involved and refund your money so I ended up paying for a dead product. Taught me to test products on arrival !!

I just took delivery of this amp. Played some familiar tracks. Fantastic. It beats my ICEpower 50ASX2 with jfet buffer, which in turn beats my 3e-audio TPA3251.
I read somewhere that the TPA3220 and TPA3221 are the logical successors of the TPA3116, and I certainly get that sense - a warm sound with barely a hint of electronic sizzle.
I know that the TPA3116 pairs well with the FX-Audio TUBE-01 preamp, so I tried this preamp with the TPA3221 - I won't say the difference was stark, but the tube preamp did subtly and pleasantly soften some of the more "bright" music tracks in my collection.

Next step will be to bypass the opamps, then try the amp again with unbalanced inputs - this is possible because like the TPA3116, and unlike the TPA3255, the TPA3221 can accept unbalanced sources simply by grounding its negative differential input pins.

Then I will try the amp with balanced inputs.
Then I will try the amp again with unbalanced inputs, but via the tube preamp.
Of these variations, it will be interesting to discover which one sounds the best. I'm busy for the next few weeks, and it will take some time to get to this, but eventually I will report.

FX-Audio TUBE-01....

Personally ... I removed it ... big loss of details ...
I admit I left the Chinese tubes in place ....
but a good dac akm, has a warm and natural sound ...
The tubes are reserved for my guitar where the distortions can be extreme and melodious ....

I understand your aversion to the TUBE-01. In spite of the hype about this preamp on the Audiokarma forum, I was initially disappointed when I used it with some of my amplifiers - loss of detail as you found ... but it's a device which shines with just a few particular amplifiers, and the TPA3116 is one such example.

a good dac akm, has a warm and natural sound
Although some people might use the TUBE-01 to colour their source device, I consider the TUBE=01's benefits unrelated to source device, and almost completely related to amplifier-matching, with speakers having an impact to a lesser degree. I gave a thorough report of my listening tests on Audiokarma -
FX Audio 6j1 tube preamp - a $31 wonder | Page 80 | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

I understand your aversion to the TUBE-01. In spite of the hype about this preamp on the Audiokarma forum, I was initially disappointed when I used it with some of my amplifiers - loss of detail as you found ... but it's a device which shines with just a few particular amplifiers, and the TPA3116 is one such example.

Although some people might use the TUBE-01 to colour their source device, I consider the TUBE=01's benefits unrelated to source device, and almost completely related to amplifier-matching, with speakers having an impact to a lesser degree. I gave a thorough report of my listening tests on Audiokarma -
FX Audio 6j1 tube preamp - a $31 wonder | Page 80 | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Thanks, Linuxfan.

I tried this tube preamp behind my dac akm4497.
sending the signal to my 3rd audio tpa32555 (opa1656 inside)
While waiting for my future Akita ...
This preamp .... well to put the gain (in voltage) on some configurations but after a dac that can send 2 v output no interest ...
I'm going to modify it to make a DIY distortion pedal for my guitar ... :):);)

I just took delivery of this amp. Played some familiar tracks. Fantastic. It beats my ICEpower 50ASX2 with jfet buffer, which in turn beats my 3e-audio TPA3251.
I read somewhere that the TPA3220 and TPA3221 are the logical successors of the TPA3116, and I certainly get that sense - a warm sound with barely a hint of electronic sizzle.
I know that the TPA3116 pairs well with the FX-Audio TUBE-01 preamp, so I tried this preamp with the TPA3221 - I won't say the difference was stark, but the tube preamp did subtly and pleasantly soften some of the more "bright" music tracks in my collection.

Next step will be to bypass the opamps, then try the amp again with unbalanced inputs - this is possible because like the TPA3116, and unlike the TPA3255, the TPA3221 can accept unbalanced sources simply by grounding its negative differential input pins.

Then I will try the amp with balanced inputs.
Then I will try the amp again with unbalanced inputs, but via the tube preamp.
Of these variations, it will be interesting to discover which one sounds the best. I'm busy for the next few weeks, and it will take some time to get to this, but eventually I will report.

Really interesting. Would be very curious to get your opinion with the balanced inputs. Something is sure, for such a low price this dual Mono TPA3221 is really hard to beat ! :)

Hi,

Huayu Qingyan FR. who is making these amps do not have it anymore and ain't sure they will be available soon.

For the richest of you, you can find the TPA3251 version with differential OP amps but the price makes no sense ...

Fever – amplificateur de puissance numerique HIFI ultra clair TPA3251, haute puissance et petite taille | AliExpress

H718426a38d514e95b456e8662d241bc6k.jpg

I just modified my dual-TPA3221 amplifier to provide differential inputs, with the input opamps and volume pot bypassed. Photos attached.
It was a pain - the case is small, and it was impossible to fit full-sized XLR connectors to the rear panel, and the rear panel is glass-fibre, not aluminium! I had to use mini-XLR connectors ... then I had to make up miniXLR-to-XLR cables, and also miniXLR-to-RCA cables.
Modifications now complete, I just compared several different configurations:
1) different voltage power supplies: 15V (as supplied), 19V and 24V
1a) adding capacitance to the power supply
2) using differential inputs, versus using single-ended inputs. The TPA3221 is a differential design, but it permits single-ended inputs simply by grounding the negative input pins. Be warned - this feature does not apply to all Texas Instruments amplifier chips - you can't do this with a TPA325x series amplifier.
My source is an ES9018 DAC with transformer output stage, which can be pin-configured for balanced or unbalanced output.
3) with single-ended input, adding a tube pre-amp between the source and amp.

STAGE 1 - Differential input mode, 15V vs 19V vs 24V switch-mode power supply
15V - nice sound, but maybe a little bassy, and some roughness in the treble.
24V - the rough treble is gone, but there's now more mids/highs, and overall a bit bright.
19V - Best. But still a hint of brightness.

STAGE 2 - Single-ended input mode, initially with 19V power supply
Well to my surprise, this just sounded "right". A more subtle, musical sound compared to the slightly bright sound in differential mode.
Then I tried the 15V supply and 24V supply, and while the differences were not as pronounced as they were in differential mode, 19V was still the winner.

STAGE 3 - Single-ended input mode, add capacitance multiplier to the 19V power supply.
The cap multiplier I have is by Allo, and it has an adjustment for voltage-drop, with a maximum drop of approx 12% of the input voltage.
At first listen, I could not hear any difference from the previous test, and I was going to report the cap multiplier as having no benefit.
But then I thought to check the voltage-drop, and I saw it was set to only drop 0.25V. I increased this to a 1.5V drop and listened again.
I should point out that up to this point, the differences I heard were in terms of bass/mid/treble balance, and also overall brightness.
But now - wow. No change in tone or brightness, but an increase in clarity and imaging.
And since the cap multiplier brought such improvement to the 19V supply, I then re-tested with the 15V and 24V supplies - the cap multiplier brought similar improvements to these power supplies, but 19V was still the best ... well actually with the cap multiplier in series, the voltage is now 17.5V.

STAGE 4 - add tube pre-amp - FX-Audio TUBE-01, with GE 5654W tubes and 12.6V linear power supply.
Over on the Audiokarma forum I reported, as many others have, that this tube pre-amp sounds great in combination with a TPA3116 amplifier.
But in the present test setup I cannot report any benefit. It gives a slight "softening" effect, and in certain setups this can be a good thing, but in my case it's taking away some of the warmth in the bass. I won't say the sound is bad, but I certainly prefer the sound without it.

So my best sounding configuration is with input opamps bypassed, single-ended input mode, 19V SMPS with additional output capacitance.
This is sounding great through my MarkAudio fullrange speakers. It probably won't beat a high end class A or class AB amplifier, but it's the best class D amplifier I've heard, including a couple of TPA3251 amps - which I found to be harsh.

Attachments

• TPA3221-modified.jpg
    TPA3221-modified.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 316
  • mini-XLR.jpg
    mini-XLR.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 301
Reactions: 1 user