Fake LME49990 on the market

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A warning to all - there are now fake LME49990MA on the market.
nacNIxf.jpg

Purchased from an eBay seller as dual DIP adapter board.

First glance - the chip has NO PIN1 markings at all, not on the top or the side, nowhere.

Also noticed that the font for 999 is wrong, original has no curve at the bottom, the fake one is a bit out of focus but has a curved leg on 9. Don't own an original one to compare but the logo seems fatter than original too.

I was brave enough and gave it a measure too. The datasheet says quiescent current is 9mA typical Vcc = +-15V, this adapter has 2 of them and should measure 18mA. I measured 8mA.

"More efficient"? No, this is definitely fake. If any of the specs are not within datasheet limits, they are either counterfeit units (something else marked with the p/n) or factory rejects that 'escaped'. The fact that the marking is so poor -NS logo fat, characters not lined up neatly and no pin 1 indicator are telltale signs of counterfeit units.

NS tended to keep all their assembly and test in one factory, largely true after the TI acquisition. So one would expect the overall 'form/fit' of the marking to be consistent. Other companies like TI may use multiple factories or move production between more than one factory. In that case the marking styles may vary somewhat -- such as molded pin 1 dimple vs dot vs stripe across pin one end -- but still any marking will have neat, tidy and uniform arrangement.

As someone mentioned, this very good op-amp is obsolete. It's even more likely than it was a year ago that anything you buy on eBay will be counterfeit.

First glance - the chip has NO PIN1 markings at all, not on the top or the side, nowhere.

The absence of any dip or recess indicating pin1 is a fairly strong indication that the top of the package has been sanded down to remove the original markings.

I was brave enough and gave it a measure too. The datasheet says quiescent current is 9mA typical Vcc = +-15V, this adapter has 2 of them and should measure 18mA. I measured 8mA.

That's a dead ringer for fakery.

I had no choice so bought one from China, would see when it arrives.

Price can be one indication of fakes, but certainly not always. This is especially true for chips like the OPA627.

I have purchased numerous different op-amps from this seller and have never received any that were DOA or fake. Some were used with resoldered/repaired pins, but I didn't care because the price was still much lower than the same IC new from Mouser or DigiKey.

Price can be one indication of fakes, but certainly not always. This is especially true for chips like the OPA627.

I have purchased numerous different op-amps from this seller and have never received any that were DOA or fake. Some were used with resoldered/repaired pins, but I didn't care because the price was still much lower than the same IC new from Mouser or DigiKey.
Thanks. Reasonably priced indeed, will try him if I receive a fake.

I am kicking myself that I didn't buy a bunch of LME49990's when RS Components were selling they cheap.

And as to fake ones from China, I bought a SD Card on Ebay that was supposed to be 32gb and it turned out to be only 256mb, they just write the firmware from a proper one and the computer thinks it's 32gb, that's until you try and use more than the 256mb. Wouldn't trust Chinese sellers at all.

And that 32gb card was what? like $2? Dead giveaway.

Chinese goods CAN be fine, you just have to know what you're buying. Besides that eBay sides with the buyer if there is a problem.
I buy 12V SMPS (if it says 60A it's 40A), diodes, resistors, some capacitors, LM317, Chinese tubes and sockets, LEDs and hardware (nuts, bolts, rubber feet etc)

Don't buy power transistors, ICs, etc. And if you buy a cable don't expect the length you bought. 6ft USB cable was 5ft, 3ft RCAs that were 4.5ft etc.

If there is a problem contact the seller. Most of the time they will bend over backwards to make you happy.

I can buy resistors from China for 1 cent a piece and the SAME resistor locally is 25 cents... No brainer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.