Help with double chamfer

Hello everyone,

I am building a 3 way enclosure and I have a design idea I would like to implement. However..... I haven't figured out how to do it
Have a look at my pictures. Basically I want an outer 45 degree chamfer and then an inner 15 degree chamfer on a 3/4" birch plywood enclosure.

The 45 is easy enough with a 45 degree chamfer router bit.

I am unsure of how to get the second 15 degree cut.

Any ideas?

I have a router (hand held) and a table saw (not a good one and I don't really trust it for precision angle cuts)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-26 195411.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-26 195411.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot 2024-06-26 195429.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-26 195429.png
    33.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot 2024-06-26 200024.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-26 200024.png
    14.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot 2024-06-26 200148.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-26 200148.png
    38.9 KB · Views: 26
The guide on the router may have a 15 degree setting.

Or use a shim, see 'sine table', a machinist's tool, where guage blocks or shims are used to get the correct angle for machinig.
Difficult with a hand held router.

Or you could obtain a bit / tool with the right profile...

The guide on the router may have a 15 degree setting.

Or use a shim, see 'sine table', a machinist's tool, where guage blocks or shims are used to get the correct angle for machinig.
Difficult with a hand held router.

Or you could obtain a bit / tool with the right profile...
Yeah I might have to make a jig. I have no problem buying router bits. I planned to buy a 15 degree hit hut couldn't figure how to use it to make the chamfer.

The router doesn't have any angle settings sadly.

Well, if you are careful and take it slowly it will happen.
I've done it with smaller baffles for OB mids and it works quite ok but you need to really take your time and prepare.
Especially when your power tools, like mine, are cheap, not very precise ones.
Good luck and be very careful.

I think I have decided its not worth the trouble for this project. This is a decent sized enclosure and I haven't done enough finish woodworking to get it exactly how I want it.

I will assemble the box tomorrow morning. I will chamfer it then. I think if I decide I don't like it I will go at it with the hand planar and sander. Just take my time to get the shape I want.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Chris did the constructioneering, but these started out with a similar double angle bevel. Then Chris decided to make real curves.

Elipsa-original plan viewe.png

Ellipsa-1st-veneered.jpg

The idea is that you are approximating a curve with an increasing radius.

This was the origial work that led to the above.

First-multy-anglr-chamfer.png

Note that your small chamfer will only have affects at the higest frequencies.

I expect 2 passes on the table saw is all it would take.

dave

Reactions: 1 user
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
An alternative I have thought about is what is called a "balustrade" bit for the router.
A big compound curve.
But the downside is that they are huge, need a powerful router and my mate the cabinet maker says they also need to used on a router table and not freehand

Chris did the constructioneering, but these started out with a similar double angle bevel. Then Chris decided to make real curves.
Yeah this is amazing. Beyond my current wood working skill level
I did do a practice piece and succeeded with my double chamfer, however, it cause the wood to be so thin that I believe it will compromise the structure
This example you have here is definitely the way to do it. With an actual piece of wood BECOMING the chamfer.

Maybe for the next one....

Last edited by a moderator: