Hey guys

I have been gathering a lot of very important info from all the discussions here and I would love to start being able to write a few comments myself. I am from CZ, I studied architecture in France and I live in Canada. I am currently designing my first speaker build, since this will cost me a lot of time I decided to go fairly high end, specially in the cabinet design. I will be using CNC trans laminated wood to achieve curved forms and I am looking for some advice on driver selection.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Welcome to diyAudio :^)

A couple comments: nthe only asset translam brings is to allow exotic shapes. They are a huge waste of materials, have to be overbuilt since the naterial is being used in a direction it was not intended for.

For a simple curved box a form and a vacuum bag does a better job.

And if this is your first builkd it is stronly recommened that you do something simple and not too pricey. What you learn will be of huge value in figuring out what YOU really wanr.

dave

@planet10
Hey, thank you! I just posted a discussion about this build, it should be up soon. I am a little bit worried about my ability to bend wood, hence the cnc cut trans lam. I am basing it off of the TAD Reference One series with the front facing port. I don't have time to build two or three speakers unfortunately, so I want to try and build a very solid base and I can later play and learn and redesign the crossover many times if necessary. I have decent B&W bookshelves and pretty cool Sony SS M3 bookshelves, I can also buy some other very good used ones for the price this will all cost me. So I really want to go high-end if I am spending this much time with it. I also will try and design a front baffle that can be swapped put if I change drivers in the future.I will look into this vacuum bag method you speak of tho. Thanks again!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hello Sebastian F from Czechia, now here in Canada.
What planet10 says is true. I built only one pair of laminated cabinets but that was due to the planning of what I was going to do with the leftovers. If you are intent on this, make sure you can't do it another way such as being suggested. Air bagging and bendy ply go a long way toward your goal.
Get your cabinet in mind and take it to the members in the loudspeaker and construction areas. There is a wealth of information among your fellow members.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I don't have time to build two or three speakers unfortunately

You may find that bad logic, given what you will learn. You can attempt an end-goal build but unless you are copying a procven design, you are likely to start having second thots about how you did it and you will start scheming your next build. Instead of setting aside a modest speaker, you are setting aside one you put massive effort into.

And th etime thing is likely a red herring, what you learn in a simple build will make the mnore complicated build easier andmore efficient. Likely take lkess time to build 2 than starting with grandious goals (i have seen that end in disappointment too many times).

Pick up something modest (a singlr driver like Markaudio Pluvia 7HD, CHN-110, CHN-50 would be a good choice), the small expense in time & money will likely save you a lot of grief, time, and expense with a more ambitious build.

dave