High efficiency LCR speakers with good stereo perfomance

Hello DIY forum,

I have plans to build high efficiency LCR speakers and I'm looking at SB Audience and Faitalpro units.

Bass doesn't need to dig really deep as I already have a dual LLT B&C 21SW152 subwoofer tuned @11Hz and a sealed corner sub with 4x Visaton TIW400 with QTC = 0.6

Left, center and right channel will all include:
Woofer: 2x SB Audience NERO-12MWN400D sealed with QTC = 0.6
Mid: 2x SB Audience ROSSO-6MW150D sealed with QTC= 0.5
Treble: Faitalpro HF10AK on RCF H100

Crossover frequencies will be approximately 250Hz and 1500Hz.

I could consider to replace the SB Audience Nero-12MWN-400D with a ROSSO-15MW500 for a slightly better response under 100Hz.

Amplification and filtration will be done with the Hypex FA253 (Or FA503 if that one handles lower impedance better). I'll use a 2nd order passive crossover on the HF10AK for additional protection. Measurement will be done with REW.

All units will be built into a TV wall with sturdy bracing to avoid resonances. The 12"/15" woofers will be built into the lower cabinets that get extensive bracing + double panel thickness. The mid woofers will also get sturdy enclosures with non parallel walls. The center speaker will be built into the lower cabinet under the TV and the L-R speakers might be built into separate cabinets that stand on each side of the TV. If I succeed this will be an extremely powerful home cinema system with very clean and non-technical look.

Who has experience with the above mentioned SB Audience woofers or alternatives? Who sees a fatal flaw reading all the above? I'll certainly post images when the build starts and I'm open for all criticism.

Sounds like a reasonable approach to me, but I haven't had a chance to test the new SBA drivers yet.

Not too sure about building it into a TV enclosure, especially as it will likely image better with a fair amount of toe and I'd be concerned about vibration.

Reactions: 1 user
The SBA drivers will be a first for me too but I'm pretty confident they'll sound alright.

The TV wall will be all about fighting resonances. All cavities in that wall will get a matrix bracing to make it as solid as possible and all cables will run through PVC pipes that'll be glued into that matrix. The sheer mass of the whole construction should make it almost inert.

The wall will be split into the lower section that'll be 70cm high and extends 40cm forward from the upper wall. The lower cabinet will be the base for the TV and the left + right speakers if I build them into separate boxes. Then they can stand next to the TV with the added possibility to adjust the toe-in for a better stereo imaging. OTOH building the speakers into the wall will give a much cleaner look. Choices ;)

It'll be WWMTM for the left and right speaker. The center speaker will be WMTMW with the horn above both midranges.

I've looked at the ROSSO-12MW300 too for it's lower price but I like the triple roll surround of the NERO-12MWN400D a bit more. An other idea is using the NERO-12MWN400D only for the center channel and the ROSSO-15MW500 for left and right speaker.

Oh nice! I've read a lot about DEQX and heard one system on a show and this one will definitely sound terrific. I just did a search and I guess I don't want to know the price of that Pre-8 Advanced HD-Active ;)
I mis-wrote the exact model of my order but it's the 8 Ohm 15" PHL Audio 6201MNd. Now I've got my work cut out to build the MDF box (or bar) with extreme bracing and double panel thickness.

extreme bracing
Yes. B&W matrix style
double panel thickness
Don't bother except for the baffle where you need to recess the thick flange.
I've read a lot about DEQX and heard one system on a show and this one will definitely sound terrific. I just did a search and I guess I don't want to know the price of that Pre-8 Advanced HD-Active
His system uses a pair of the older PDC 2.6 (5 way system). I have one as well but am moving to PC based as I'm typically 4 or 5 way these days.

It's been a while and although this project has been delayed, the build will happen over the next 2 years starting with all the woodworking. Attached are some SketchUp renderings of what I have in mind.

Scetchup-AVWALL22.jpg

Scetchup-AVWALL11.jpg

In the meantime I also bought the Purifi PTT6.5M08-NFA-01 as midrange. The new Bliemsa M142A-6 also looks very tempting though with it's unique properties. Instead of horn speakers I'll probably choose the Bliesma T34A it looks like the better option for sound quality.

There are a lot of corners in this design you could avoid! Put the speakers directly to the TV, make them as high as the TV.
You could extend them to the edges of the backwall or make some smoother transition.

From an acoustic point of view you sould create a seamless wall with the speakers included.
I did something similar with my listening room and monitoring setup - just totally different. :geek:
DSC08836 (FHD).JPG

The monitor + speakers + frontwall build a seamless surface. You design has a lot of edges and resonances there and it would be easy to at least connect the speaker with the TV. Also the "board" of woofers isn't great cause it's one reflection more ... maybe you get some ideas to "streamline" it a bit more.

There are a lot of corners in this design you could avoid! Put the speakers directly to the TV, make them as high as the TV.
You could extend them to the edges of the backwall or make some smoother transition.

From an acoustic point of view you sould create a seamless wall with the speakers included.
I did something similar with my listening room and monitoring setup - just totally different. :geek:
View attachment 1196038

The monitor + speakers + frontwall build a seamless surface. You design has a lot of edges and resonances there and it would be easy to at least connect the speaker with the TV. Also the "board" of woofers isn't great cause it's one reflection more ... maybe you get some ideas to "streamline" it a bit more.
Very nice listening room you have there ;)

Yes I agree on most points. The door on the right side can't be moved and on the left side there are windows with designer curtains so that remains a limitation. The sketchup images show the original plan with coaxial drivers and my wife already told me that the drivers need to be flush mounted so that's what I'm going to do anyway. The sharp edges on the concave wall can be round too to minimise diffraction.

The subwoofers on the back left will be sealed instead of ported. I was thinking of building a dual opposed slot (up and down) for each subwoofer pair but I want them to remain easily accessible for serviceability when needed.

The enclosure for the lower speaker will remain in place as support for the 85" TV but won't be full width and it'll only contain the center speakers.

The L+R speakers will have the same flush mount vertical WMTMW layout as yours but the tweeter will be at ear level for mixed home theatre and stereo listening. One single Bliesma M142A-6 would simplify the driver layout though. Especially the lower PTT6.5M08 in the center speaker will sit awfully close to the floor if I respect the MTM placement.

And then I also need to hide all electronics without risking them to overheat. Right now I have the Denon AVC-A1H, one IceEdge 1200AS/2 and 3 Crown XLS2502. When this wall is finished the 1200AS/2 will be replaced by 3x Hypex FA503 for LCR. I already promised my wife a little (but sturdy) built-in book shelf on the right side but I feel that that shelf will have to be very little to accommodate the Hypex FA503 and Crown ;)

It's time to start building.

Plan is to build one "test" center speaker with all components that I already bought. The center speaker will be mounted above the TV as this is the preferred location by people that tried placement both under and above the TV.

The height of the center channel is not a a real issue as I have 70cm between ceiling and TV... But...
  1. The dual PTT6.5M08 and tweeter can be mounted 100% on the vertical axis what makes the loudspeaker 53 cm high and give the best possible sound.
  2. The dual PTT6.5M08 can be mounted in a pyramid configuration with both midranges mounted very close together. This would allow only a 40 cm height but what's the downside of doing that? With a listening distance of 5m I think the comb filtering won't be that severe?
Anyway I think that I already know the answer and that option 1 will give the best results as it'll match the L+R speakers MTM configuration.