I have a confession to make

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
A minor or a major sin? You decide.
Using a garage sale box and some bits from the shed to make a new set of party speakers.
Going though my spare parts and trying to figure out a crossover to go with the hodgepodge of drivers I'll be using I couldn't make a decision.
Went on eBay this AM and found some Jaycar 3-Way crossovers from about 20 years ago [ 2004 catalogue says $57- each 200 watts and frequency divides to suit the old Tandy 2" dome at 1500 and 5k-.
It's a junk box why not use a junk XO? So I bought 2.
Near enough good enough?
I will need to put a zobel on the woofer but that's from stuff in the junk box and I finally get to re-use the old Tandy dome

Reactions: 1 user
They will make noise and if it's for parties, why not - after a few refreshments, they should sound fine!

Jaycar used to have some great gear, like their Vifa speaker kits which at one stage were being thrown out for about $200, cabinets and all. They were also selling the D25ag tweeters for $10 and the woofers for $20! Now, their drivers are rather dear compared to what else of better quality is around.

Geoff

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Woofer really needs a conjugate, doing party duty how long will it take to cook a 5W ceramic? Jaycar Geelong burnt down and I'm out of resistors in suitable value apart from two 5W and no large values in the stash to dubble up.
Yes I could buy on line but skinflint me doesn't want to spend $11- on postage for $5- of product

Hey there Moondog55,
Although you didn't actually spell it out, the Tandy 2" dome driver is a midrange.
The only problem with using these for a 'Party Speaker' is their slightly low efficiency - being roughly 89dB/1W/1M.
However, Tandy drivers always had a rather poor tolerance spec. around 15%, so there is a chance you've got some 'loud' ones.
Your project still sounds like FUN to me.

Attachments

• Scan_Doc0172.pdf
    700.5 KB · Views: 32
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
What value resistors do you need?

Geoff
Approximately 8R I have 8.2R in 5W and enough five watt resistors to knock up a series/parallel to give the correct value. Jaycar were a 5 minute drive away and the new Geelong store may not open for months yet. I wonder how much stock went up in the fire and how much was able to be salvaged.
MA it won't help that the two mid domes are different to each other either, but for a party speaker it may not make any difference,

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
This project is being driven by my neighbors. At dinner the other nite out on the new patio area besides the firepit I was asked why I didn't have music playing. As you may all know my "Party System" is a bit too big for gentle background music and I have all these spare drivers and bits of old boxes there.
@ MisterAudio, yep not really efficient but there should be a couple of dB boost from the second order XO at 1500, I'll make up for it with treble boost if I can

PS.
For a truly 'rugged' and nearly indestructible Party Speaker,
you might want to incorporate things such as >
  • a slow blow fuse
  • a 1000uF series input coupling capacitor
  • the use of low voltage incandescent light bulbs
  • the use of PTC poly-switches

Last edited:
I have owned 2 big houses and one small one.
And packed way way way too many people in the small house.
With some basic book shelf speakers.
We definitely got down to the party business.
More than what people expect a party speaker to be.
Actually the system woke up with a thrift store 12" powered
Sony sub.
Adding more bass made the nights wake up real good.
More than enough to peeve the neighbors.

People talk about 3000 watt subs for watching movies.
I dont get it.
I can rumble a house pretty good with a 12"
and not much power.
And were a good 60 to 80 people deep average.
Arm to arm peak with 130 people.

Basically need more air conditioner
than sound system at that point

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Something to think about. My party speakers all play outside, also while I do have a killerwatt of power available I probably only use 10 watts a channel. Inside the house it's a much lower power. but those sudden loud transients on classical music can really drive a speaker.
So I'll try 5W and see what happens

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Hey there Moondog55,
Although you didn't actually spell it out, the Tandy 2" dome driver is a midrange.
The only problem with using these for a 'Party Speaker' is their slightly low efficiency - being roughly 89dB/1W/1M.
However, Tandy drivers always had a rather poor tolerance spec. around 15%, so there is a chance you've got some 'loud' ones.
Your project still sounds like FUN to me.
Well if I could find another pair at a reasonable price [ Not paying $50- like the current eBay auction I'm watching] I'd handle the power part by running MTM and using a small Mylar tweeter

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Why build when you can buy?
I just paid $20- for this pair [ plus a bottle of Pinot for delivery] and as yet I don't know what the drivers are but they will be opened up soon

Attachments

• IMG_3044.JPG
    IMG_3044.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3045.JPG
    IMG_3045.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3046.JPG
    IMG_3046.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 34