Identify the cap anyone?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi people can anyone tell me what kind of capacitor this is?

Attachments

• C6 final pic.jpeg
    C6 final pic.jpeg
    48.7 KB · Views: 288
Neurochrome.com
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I can't tell from the picture, but values that low are most often C0G/NP0. The other dielectrics have pretty horrid voltage and temperature coefficients that using anything other than C0G/NP0 if the value you need is available in C0G/NP0 would border on incompetence. I can't think of any application where someone would take advantage of the nonlinearities of the cap. I also can't think of a situation where replacing a Y5V, X7R, etc. cap with a C0G/NP0 would degrade performance. That doesn't mean there isn't one - just that I can't think of one.

If you look at the other side of the cap, you might find a code that could lead you to the dielectric. It's typically two letters with a number in between.

Tom

I figured the cap in the pic might be something like X7R or Z5U. If that's the case i'll replace them with C0G/NP0.

However could these in the pic already be NP0/C0G?

There's nothing on the other side to indicate what specific type they are.

Last edited:
It looks like a multilayer capacitor, so I guess it's NP0 anyway. 15 years ago is 2004, well after the introduction of multilayer caps. I've never seen class 1 multilayers in anything else than NP0/C0G.

330 pF single-layer capacitors from 30 years ago were usually something else, like N750 or N1500 (class 1, similar to NP0 but with a temperature coefficient of -750 or -1500 ppm/K) or even X7R (class 2, inaccurate and distorting). Single-layer capacitors were circular or rectangular and rather flat, and typically had a coloured band to indicate the dielectric type.

It looks like a multilayer capacitor, so I guess it's NP0 anyway. 15 years ago is 2004, well after the introduction of multilayer caps. I've never seen class 1 multilayers in anything else than NP0/C0G.

330 pF single-layer capacitors from 30 years ago were usually something else, like N750 or N1500 (class 1, similar to NP0 but with a temperature coefficient of -750 or -1500 ppm/K) or even X7R (class 2, inaccurate and distorting). Single-layer capacitors were circular or rectangular and rather flat, and typically had a coloured band to indicate the dielectric type.

Quad were know for using cheap parts, so I thought maybe they had used something such as X7R or Z5U for C1, C4, C7. I know for sure Quad used cheap and nasty MKT for the input coupling cap.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
C1,4,6 are specified by Quad in the 606 model service manual as simply 330pF 50V ceramics as MarcelvdG describes. i.e the original, everyday, round disc type ceramic caps. The same C1,4,6 caps now fitted to the Chinese 909 products are obviously uprated to currently available 100V types. I would think that was necessary for availability/quality reasons.

Don't overthink the capacitors' role by imagining there could be problem where there is none or by fitting higher spec. caps, that there will automatically be sound quality improvements. Fit what is already proven to be more than satisfactory (i.e. simply a 100V ceramic type specified in the 909 service manual). I think you'll find, as others have said, that this will now be a COG/NPO multilayer type if bought now from a reputable distributor who also provides full specs and datasheet links for their products.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.