Jbl extreme 2 joined in stereo (wired)

Hey folks, its been a very long time since i have been here mainly due to lack of spare time...

Just wanted an honest opinion on something, now when i lived in a house i had a set of bowers and wilkins towers with a rega amp and was very happy with the sound they produced, a change of circumstance now means i happily live on a houseboat.

My question is due to the obvious power and space constraints i had to shed the previous setup and i now own a pair of jbl extreme 2,s which i chose after many reviews and listening to many portable speakers and for the money i felt they had the most natural sound and decent power, you can pair them in stereo if you own two or party mode if you have more (i do have two of the jbl charge 3 also but we will focus on the stereo arrangement of the two bigger ones).

One important thing to note is the extreme 1 is very different in sound and is tuned as a party speaker with high bass emphasis, so if you have only heard this version please dont compare the two when considering my question, the extreme 2 is tuned for accuracy as much as possible and sounds pretty flat to me.

I wanted stereo with lossless so i made a cable to replicate what the wireless stereo mode does (left and right on each speaker driving the LL and RR respectively) and use the line input on each speaker, they are positioned as i would my hifi speakers angled in and a seperation of roughly 6ft and the source is a samsung smart phone playing flac files.

To me i have been very suprised with the fidelity of these little speakers and they have pretty much the same advertised frequency response of the smaller b&w towers i had (50hz-20khz) now im hearing more detail in these speakers than i ever heard in my towers and better bass (cleaner and more precise but maybe not as deep) but the highs and mids now this is where im stunned the detail is so much better than i expected dare i say it much better than my hifi now i want to know if anyone else has heard these and has any critical things to say about them? Are they actually a bluetooth speaker done right or am i just immagining it!

Look forward to some feedback from people with experience of better than the maybe humble b&w towers.

Thanks Mat.

Well, if you're happy with them, there's nothing wrong with that.

These days, DSP and power is cheap, which means it's possible to get very respectable sound out of some small boxes. I like my Sony SRS-XB12 for similar reasons - pretty even and flat, tiny box, decent battery life.

Chris

...i happily live on a houseboat.
The JBL Xtreme 2s would appear to be ideal for your limited space.

And, as a bonus, they're waterproof! :)

Attachments

• JBL Xtreme 2.jpg
    JBL Xtreme 2.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 62
Yeah very happy with the jbl, also picked up a bose soundtouch 30 for £100 today with a smashed top panel, just finished making a new one out of fibreglass in piano black, managed to get a decent mould from the broken one, bought it to fix and sell since they make good money, but sitting here listening now it sound very good, nowhere near the seperation of the extreme2 but the bass! It goes seriously deep and the volume is nuts might keep it for a while.

Also been reading reviews about the bose since i dont know much about them (mainly bought it because i know the prices and know i can make money once i fixed it...

Really dont get the bad reviews, sounds amazing to me love the folded horn colouration and how it picks out details in the mids that i dont hear on the jbl and the thunderous deep bass, its fun to listen to and puts a smile on my face, isnt that whats its all about?

Thanks to that horn has effortless power too.